Drove the Astra for a day

Today I spent some time driving a new 2008 silver Astra XE automatic while my ION is in the shop. I haven't really had the chance to open one up on the highway or hit a corner hard in the country. I am pretty impressed with the speed and especially the handling. of course, this is really a German-built Opel and the way it handles shows. The car loves to be beat on and rewards you for it. Unlike my ION, it feels like a mid-size real car. I am curious how the Astra would hold up to a year of my "sporty" driving. My '07 ION.3 does have 6 more horsepower and much more torque, I know the ION could take the Astra in a stop light race but the Astra does quite well once under way. I still think my ION gets better mileage and power but the Astra comes really close.

If you have not driven an Astra yet or are thinking of a small car, especially an import, the Astra is worth a test drive. According to Motor Trend magazine, the Astra has a quicker 0-60 time than it's compact competitors, which is contrary to what others are saying. If this is the new direction Saturn is headed in, German-engineered Saturns, it definitely is the right direction.

Reply to
marx404

Astra is a nice car BUT, they don't have front cup holders because, in typical German fashion, Germans decided that you don't need cup holders, that you shouldn't drive and drink our coffee at the same time. WE WANT OUR CUP HOLDERS, DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Bassplayer12

There is one in the center console conveniently located between the front seats and there is a two cup holder that pops out of the rear seat. . Also there is a center armrest accessory that has a slideable cupholder. It could be in a better place though. At least the cupholders aren't blocking off the AC controls like the ION.

Reply to
marx404

Den Arm aus dem Fenster, das Radio voll an, draußen hängt ein Fuchsschwanz dran, in jeder Karre sitzen vier Mann. Die Bullen eben in der Stadt abgehängt, mit 110 einen Ford versengt und einen Fiat ausgebremst. Wir haben neue Schluffen drauf und uns Ralleystreifen gekauft.

Wir sind die Jungs von der Opel-Gang, wir haben alle abgehängt. Wir sind die Jungs von der Opel-Gang, wir haben alle abgehängt. Opel-Gang!

Reply to
PerfectReign

This is how Google Translator deciphered that: (funny)

The arm out the window, fully to the radio, outside hangs a foxtail off sit barrow in every four men The Bulls just in the city suspended, with 110 a Ford scorched and a Fiat being. We have new silt on top and bought us rally stripes.

We are the boys of the Opel Gang, We have all left. We are the boys of the Opel Gang, We have all left. Opel Gang!

Reply to
marx404

LOL! I read/write German and that band (Die Toten Hosen ) is one of my favorites. I had never bothered to "translate" the song.

Reply to
PerfectReign

HeHe - I work for a German operation. Needed a translation of a technical document from German to English. Tried Babelfish.altavaisa.com and the Google translator. Neither quite got what I needed so I asked the Big Boss' sons (VPs...) if they could translate it. What the heck they were born in the USA but went to German school. They couldn't make sense of the document either and suggested I ask their father. I go the president's office and ask him. He looks down his nose at me and says that "you've worked here for 26 years and don't speak German yet?" I loved the look on his face when I told him his sons couldn't make sense of it either. Perhaps he should send me to Germany for a year for total immersion.

Reply to
Oppie