engine coolant light

I recently purchased a 2000 SL2 with about 50K on it. Great car, so far. Yesterday, the engine coolant idiot light came on, but the temp gauge was fine. The light didn't stay on long, but has happened 5 or 6 times since and only for a minute or so. The owners manual doesn't say much about this situation. The coolant in the reservoir was just a bit below the min. mark when cold, so I added a bit to about midway between min and max. No light so far. Can this light mean anything else if the temp. gauge is OK. It's as if there is a sensor in the reservoir, but that's hard to imagine.

Any ideas?

thanks

Reply to
stonecreek

I also have a 2000 SL2 and this happened twice during the summer for soemthing similar except the service engine soon light went on. So I took it to autozone and had the codes read. It was for the transmission fluid temp sensor. So if there is a temp sensor for the transmisson fluid im sure there's a coolant sensor, it could be messed up.

Reply to
dot

Normally, the sensor for the coolant level is acutually screwed into the radiator, (somewhere down one end or the other). If the level, while flowing, drops below this point, the "igit" light will come on. You may have coolant in the reservoir, but if after servicing, the light comes back on, you might want to pressure test your cap

T.

Reply to
Terry Mosley

"stonecreek" typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

Yes, indeed there is a sensor in the coolant reservoir. It mounted in the bottom. Fill the coolant bottle to the seam around the middle, and the light will go out, if that is indeed your problem.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller