Engine Flush

I have a 2002 Vue. I am getting ready to take it in for it's 24k check up. The service manager says I need an engine flush. Is this for real or is this like "under coating"? ... i.e. is this just a gimic to get more $$ from the consumer?

jb

Reply to
jb

...if you've been doing your 3-month/3k mile oil/filter changes I can't image why you'd need the flush. My dealer lists only an oil/filter change and the cabin air filter.

Jonnie Santos

It is a gimmick - run away NOW.

Ed

jb wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

That would be a "wallet flush."

If you've been keeping current on the oil changes, you should be just fine and not need your wallet flushed.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

If it's had proper oil changes, there is no reason to do an engine flush on it. It may even do more harm than good (some engine-flush agents probably tend to dilute the oil and lubricate poorly when they're running it through..)

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Let us know which dealer so we can avoid it.

Reply to
Jim Sanders

My dealer tried this on me also.......says car needs an engine flush. Garbage..... I have changed the oil in my 97 SC2 every 3k miles. When I look inside where the oil goes in it is clean as a whistle. Nice and shiny. If on the other hand you never change your oil....like my sister on her car...you look inside and it is full of crud. Crud meaning black stuff all over evrything......I don`t think an engine flush would even help that. Dan Bergman

Reply to
Mason121

Engine cleaner and kerosene will help that..........

A friend of my brothers came to him one day when he tried to add some oil to his Hyundai but the oil ran right back out of the valve cover fill hole.......there was so much crud built up, it blocked the hole! Turns out, he hadn't changed the oil in like 80k miles! We ran engine cleaner through it(which smelled very much like kerosene) as well as regular kerosene, and amazingly it cleaned it right up! This was over a year ago and he's still driving the thing, not sure if he's changed the oil since :)

Reply to
BANDIT2941