Engine rattles when idling

Have had this checked by a mechanic, he checked it out and couldn't figure it out. So he went online to Saturn, they told him to look for some things. He checked those, but it didn't help, it still rattles. It has plenty of power, gas mileage around town is 29mpg, freeway 33mpg.It dosen't burn oil and there are no oil leaks. Thanks for your help

Reply to
Canuck1

Can you provide us with more information? What did he check?

Reply to
Blah Blah

You've given very little information to go on. But, just in case, here's a thought:

My 97 SL2s used to rattle at idle. It was the headlights. When you're idling and rattling, press gently on both headlights. If the rattle stops, then it's probably the tongue in grove joint for holding the headlights in place. A bit of silicone RTV will fix the rattle while remaining pliable enough to adjust the aim of the lights.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Good info. I have a 97SL2, it rattles when cold and idling. The sound is very metalic, but goes away when warmed up. I read this rattle was mentioned in the review of the car when it was first new. So just learned to live with it.

later,

tom @

newsgroups01REMOVEME

This was actually one of the first little repairs I had done on my '98 SL2, they tightened a few bolts around the headlight fixtures and bang, no more vibrations.

Reply to
Wurm