Engine temp problem

I have a '96 SL with 155K. Sometimes the engine temp guage reads full cold and the engine idles high when I've driven long enough that it should be up to normal temp. Then all of a sudden, it will jump up to normal operating temp. Then it may or may not go cold again. Some mornings it does this, but not every day.

Do you think it is an electrical problem, or a sticky thermostat? The thermostat is the original, 11 years old. The coolant temp sensor on the end of the block was replaced a few years ago.

Larry

Reply to
Buzz Lightyear

I had the same problem, and in my case, it was electrical. the coolant temperature sensor wire either has a break in it, or the connector is loose. The connector would be the 1st thing I'd check - mine turned out to have a broken tab on it.

--=20 =EF=BB=BFKevin M. Keller Director, News & Promotions Saturn Performance Club

Reply to
Kevin

The CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) is a known weak point on these engines and go bad quite frequently. If the connector looks good, then replace the CTS. Cheap part and easy 5-10 minute fix.

Bob

I had the same problem, and in my case, it was electrical. the coolant temperature sensor wire either has a break in it, or the connector is loose. The connector would be the 1st thing I'd check - mine turned out to have a broken tab on it.

Reply to
Bob Shuman