engines dies when stopping in the cold

Hello. I own a 1995 Saturn SL2 with about 90,000 miles on it. I have a problem with my car when its cold outside. I have no problem starting the car, and it idles fine. Except that if I rev up the engine and then try to let it drop back to idle, it will go right past and the engine dies. If I rev it up but let it slowly come back down to around

1000, then i can dtop giving it gas usually without dieing. This is a major problem when driving because when i come to a stop and take my foot off of the gas to break, if i push in the clutch as well the engine dies. To compensate for now, I have been engine-decelerating and then using the e-brake to come to the complete stop. Does anybody have any idea why my car might have problems returning to idle in the cold, but not maintaining idle once its there? If you have idea or suggestions all are most appreciated. Thanks

- Brandon Kilgore

Reply to
Brandon Kilgore

Dunno the cause, but I got real adept at pop-starting my old Corvair when it did that. Usually once it was restarted it would idle fine.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

Yeah, sometimes I forget to be careful with the idle and it starts to die, and sometimes i can recover it either by flooring the gas or popping the clutch, but either way it still dies the next time. In fact there doesn't seem to be any correlation even between warming it up and the engine being nicer, because even just this morning, i drove the car for about 5 minutes with no problems, I didn't have to try to keep it alive at all. THen I parked it for about 20 minutes and when I got back in, the first time i came to a stop i expected it to be fine like it had been earlier but it died.

- Brand>Brand>> Hello. I own a 1995 Saturn SL2 with about 90,000 miles on it. I have a

Reply to
Brandon Kilgore

Reply to
Dan Hicks

Coolant temperature sensor is a common failure item on the 1.9L engine, and could potentially cause this. Some of them have a tendency to crack and corrode, giving a false temperature reading.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Thanks, I'll have that checked out tomorrow.

Reply to
Brandon Kilgore

I have had the same problem with my 97 SC2. It has an automatic trans. I don`t know if my solution will help you. Had the exact problems when cold. The car would start fine and when I would rev it up and just let it go back to idle it would die. If I kept my foot on the gas to keep it from dropping to zero I could keep it running. Almost at every stop it would die.....sometimes it would almost die and just recover and go to the normal idle speed. In my case it was the pcv valve. In the cold weather it clogs up with ? a white and brown substance. A mechanic told me that saturns have this problem with their pcv valves in the winter. I replaced my pvc valve with a new one and the problem came back even faster. Then I just cleaned out the old one with carb. cleaner and replaced it and the problem was gone. Every once in awhile I just take it out and clean it again. Hope this helps. Dan.

Reply to
Mason121

Reply to
Woobie

In article , Brandon Kilgore writes: |> Hello. I own a 1995 Saturn SL2 with about 90,000 miles on it. I have a |> problem with my car when its cold outside. I have no problem starting |> the car, and it idles fine. Except that if I rev up the engine and |> then try to let it drop back to idle, it will go right past and the |> engine dies. If I rev it up but let it slowly come back down to around |> 1000, then i can dtop giving it gas usually without dieing. This is a |> major problem when driving because when i come to a stop and take my |> foot off of the gas to break, if i push in the clutch as well the |> engine dies. To compensate for now, I have been engine-decelerating |> and then using the e-brake to come to the complete stop. Does anybody |> have any idea why my car might have problems returning to idle in the |> cold, but not maintaining idle once its there? If you have idea or |> suggestions all are most appreciated. Thanks

Here is yet another suggestion:

I am not sure if this applies to your engine, but in many cars, like my 3.0L Voyager, the throttle plate gets dirty and closes off the minimum opening that should exist at idle. Cleaning the throttle plate and adjacent walls in the throttle bore restores the air flow needed at idle. Stalling when stopping at intersections is the classic symptom of this problem.

Reply to
Ned Forrester