error code 26 - please help.

I keep getting error code 26 showing up. The sohc 1993 SL1 runs smooth, no problems apart from the light - not even oil comsumption (on 206K kms), and the SES light keeps popping up at very low speeds or at stop signs -only to go out when the car hits 50+ kph. I've reset the code a bunch of time but it keeps happening. The EGR valve + solenoid are new - as is the PCV valve. Any ideas on what it could be? Do I need to chase this ghost? I've been told my MPGs will be suffering because of the ses light coming on - is this true?

Any help appreciated. Ian

Reply to
Iceman35

I don't recall what 26 is off hand. But with the SES light on, the computer is not making your engine run as effiecient as it could. Once the PCM senses a problem, it goes into "open loop" or a default setting. Therefore it does not adjust air/fuel mixture for the ideal condtions at that present time.

James

Reply to
James1549

No, it won't go into open loop unless it has to (i.e. the oxygen sensor is not working properly or it is otherwise impossible to run in open loop). It will not do this for any problem.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

Code 26 is a quad driver fault, most likely some device that's controlled by the ECM is shorted. On Saturns the other common cause of this, besides the EGR solenoid, seems to be the canister purge solenoid..

Reply to
Robert Hancock