fast Idling

My 2001 SL2 5-sp has been purring like a kitten ever since I bought it new. For the last week or so I've noticed that it is idling at a higher than normal speed. If the car is cold it revs to about 2300rpm and then after about 5 - 10 seconds comes down to the normal cold idle speed of about

1200rpm. When warm it still goes up to about 2000rpm until finally settling down to it's normal 850rpm. When I'm driving and switching gears the revs can actually climb between gear shifts when normally they'd drop. I have no "check engine" lights etc.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Jocko

Mine use to act like that until I replaced the cts sensor, then it straightened right out and has been fine since. I didn't get the oem one($18) for they were too far away so I got one at napa for $9

Reply to
p_vouers

The plot thickens! On my way home I stopped at a store and my revs wouldn't drop below 2800rpm!! I tried reving it a bit but that didn't help. I checked the linkage for any binding but couldn't find anything wrong their either. I turned it off and when I came back out of the store it started normally, althought still reved to about 2100rpm for the first few seconds before falling back to normal idle.

I've booked it in with the local Saturn dealer for Thursday. I have extended warranty but who knows if this will be covered . . . .there seems to be more exceptions than inclusions.

Reply to
Jocko

The local dealer couldn't duplicate the problem! Figures!! Regardless, they reprogrammed the main module and it's working good as new. $51.00, including a car was, 'aint too bad.

Reply to
Jocko

The local Saturn dealer took another look at it yesterday and decided to replace the CTS and harness for it. Voila!! The problem seems to have disappeared as quickly as it showed up. I'll give it another week or so just to make sure but for now it looks like the CTS was the culprit all along.

Reply to
Jocko

Reply to
p_vouers