Firestone tires on LS 2000

We just saw a program about tires and problems with the layers separating and tires exploding. Apparently in 2000 or thereabouts some tire manufacturers began adding a nylon layer which is supposed to stop this. We just checked the tires that came standard with our LS 2000. They are Firestones and do not have this nylon layer listed on the side of the tires. Has anyone had or heard of any problems with the tires on the Saturn sedans?? Kim

Reply to
Kim Gervais

Nope. A lot of it had to do with people overloading their SUVs, and driving 80mph in 95 degree weather for hours on end, with overloaded vehicles with who knows how properly inflated tires. *boom*. Of course, it's Firestone's fault, not the idiots in the SUV who can't read the manual...

Moral? Properly inflate your tires, don't overload the vehicle, and don't exceed the speed rating. And regularly inspect them.

As an aside, I used to love it in the summer when I'd pass some overloaded SUV, with a few inevitably blimpie passengers, on a really hot day, broken down on the road. Almost always overheating. Once saw a Blazer pop a hose about 50 feet ahead of me. Like a rock! People think they're inviceable and ignore those pesky little gauges, not to mention the laws of physics and driving. Well, then their 'poorly built' SUV overheats because it's got the a/c on full, is loaded to the rim, and it's 95 degrees out...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Those tires aren't going to pop on you. As with ANY tire, maintiain proper inflation. The biggest problem in the SUV tire-popping craze is improper inflation combined with shoddy tires.

Firestones with C-temperature ratings...These are the worst. Most light truck tires are B-rated. Most car tires are A- or B-rated. Lower inflation in the tire means that the sidewall must flex more, creating more heat. Too much heat, in a low rated tire is a proven recepie for disaster.

On our old Saturn SL1, the Firestones lasted around 40,000 miles before they started cracking. Goodyear or Michelin is a nice replacement. We have the sport package Firestone Firehawks on our 2002 L300. I expect to get 45,000 miles out of them with "spirited" driving ;)

Reply to
Victor DiMichina

I think they were the Affinitys.

15" wheels. Didn't want to spring for the 16" option. FWIW didn't like the Firestones on the 97 SL2 either. They sit in the garage while we drive on BFG T/A HR4's in summer and Blizzaks in winter.

Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

Reply to
Pete Geurds

I got 62,000 out of my tires before I just felt like replacing them. Saturn said I still had almost new tires, 8/32 left of tread. Brakes are at 75% left of wear but I'll probably replace them soon at 75,000 miles something must be replaced (preventative). The car is a SL2 saturn 1997.

Reply to
Matt Petrone

"Has anyone had or heard of any problems with the tires on the Saturn sedans??"

"Nope. A lot of it had to do with people overloading their SUVs, and driving 80mph in 95 degree weather for hours on end, with overloaded vehicles with who knows how properly inflated tires. *boom*. Of course, it's Firestone's fault, not the idiots in the SUV who can't read the manual.."

Oh I don't know about that, my Saturn of course came with Firestone when I got it but they gave me nothing but trouble. With one exception every Firestone tire I had on my car ended with the tred coming off or developing a lump. Seemed like I was consatnaly replacing them, but since the car came with Firestone I kept getting Firestone tires. Finally I just gave up on Firestone tires. I now have 1 Goodyear that has been on the car for around

4 years and still going strong, the other 3 our just generic tires I got from Discount Tire Company the newest of which is about a year and a half old.

I don't think that any Firestones I have had managed to last a full two years. So not even thinking of the SUV thing from a few years ago, just in my own personal experience Firestones are crap and I will not spend any more money putting them on my car.

Mark.

Reply to
Zaphod