Fixing my tripmeter and Odometer on my Saturn SL2?

Hi there

I have a 1992 Saturn SL2 and last thurs, the tripmeter and odometer stopped working. I need to get it looked at, but I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has had this problem and what their solution is? I don't want to replace the whole instrument panel, if possible, but does anyone know what one of those go for?

thanks

Reply to
==

There is a little red gear that drives both the trip and main odometer. It is a known weak spot of the early models.

You can get a rebuilt unit from Saturn but a few years ago I priced it out around $400.

If you want to take the chance, you can disassemble it very carefully and try to find a replacement gear in a hobby shop. The large amount of plastic in the cluster and the body panels you have to disassemble to get to the cluster makes it easy to snap something if you're not very careful...

Reply to
Gary DelGrego

Hey, see my other message: There is a place that sells replacement gears. I'm ordering one on Monday. It's hard to go wrong for $25 + shipping

Mike

Anyone know how to get to this so i can see why my Odometer / Tripmeter is not working ?

Reply to
kh0513

I believe that in the past it was posted on how the speedometer pick off gear in the transaxle gets stripped. Plastic gear gets exchanged fairly easily. Once you fix it, don't push the reset while moving. (IIRC)

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie