Freezing window washer

Hello I have a 2007 Vue AWD. It seems that whenever the temperature drops around

20 degrees, my washer fluid does not spray on either front or back windows. I know the fluid is not frozen. (at least in the tank) My mom has a 2007 Ion and it did the same thing. They replaced the fluid pump in the Ion. My mom really hasn't been driving in the cold for us to know if it fixed the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks

Reply to
Coasten1

Really basic question - are you using winter mix washer fluid? Summer mix

**will** freeze up while winter mix is good to -20F (iirc).

I haven't seen this problem on my -01 lw300 but had a really annoying problem on an old Dodge Caravan where the wiper mounted windshield sprayers were in a high pressure zone that would often force (rain or ice melt) water back down through the tubing where it would freeze. Regularly, would have to remove the sprayer and a length of hose, take it inside the cabin and thaw it out... The lw300 has the sprayers mounted on the hood in a low pressure zone and does not have this problem.

Reply to
oppie

Yep. Here's how I solved it:

  1. Put about 3/4 pint of denatured alcohol (shellac thinner from the hardware store) in the windshield-washer tank. Mix well.
  2. Park the car in a warm garage until the lines thaw, and the fluid begins to flow again.
  3. Run the washer pump until you can smell the alcohol coming out.
  4. Top off the washer tank with winter mix washer fluid.
  5. Use winter mix all year round.

That last part is especially important -- the previous owner of our Saturn didn't do that, as we learned to our dismay the first winter we owned it. I've been using winter mix in the Saturn ever since -- just like in all our other vehicles -- and haven't had any further problems.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Just a comment: Although the recommendation seems like it would likely work to unclog the sprayer nozzle, having shellac thinner hitting the car's clear coat finish doesn't sound too wise to me....

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Ah! Cring... I was thinking the same thing. I've gotten 'denatured alcohol' on a painted surface before but that was on a washing machine. Didn't seem to harm it but its not something that sits outside in the elements. It may cause the paint to prematurely fade & it will certainly remove any car wax.

Reply to
BläBlä

Maybe try the better quality washer fluids. Like Prestone De-Icer. Fred

94 SC2
Reply to
Fred

It won't hurt it a bit. Perhaps you're thinking of acetone...?

Reply to
Doug Miller

It will do nothing of the kind. Wax is not soluble in alcohol. Neither is automotive lacquer. What do you suppose they put in winter mix windshield washer fluid, anyway, to keep it from freezing?

Reply to
Doug Miller

And you think that doesn't have alcohol in it? Think again. The MSDS for Prestone De-Icer is available here:

The stuff's 70 to 80% methyl alcohol. Alcohol will *not* harm the finish on a car.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Doug, did you need 3 post to get your point across?

You best look up the MSDS's for Denatured Alcohol and Paint Strippers. Its not Methyl, its Ethanol...

Sorry do you mean actual wax or the stuff people put on their cars today. Either way its coming off.

Now...I'm off to bed...knowing my original concern still stands.

Reply to
BläBlä

Bull. What paint stripper contains ethanol?

Either way, wax is not soluble in ethyl or methyl alcohol.

Nonsense.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Last I knew, denatured alcohol is Ethanol with a poison added to render it undrinkable (otherwise it is taxed as liquor). Methanol is poisonous as-is. Methanol: C-H3- OH, Ethanol: C2-H5-OH

Reply to
Oppie

That's correct; the most common denaturant for ethanol is methanol. Either one will work just fine to keep your windshield washer fluid from freezing, and neither one will harm the finish on your car.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have better fluid in the tank now and it seems to be better. The fluid originally in there was what the dealer kept topping it off with every 3 months.

My mom's car had the same issue and it is a 2007. First winter. They replaced the fluid pump. We both thought that kind of odd since when it was warm it worked fine.

Reply to
Coasten1

I lived in Alaska for 18 years @ -30 -40 and -50 degrees .. -62 at one point -- anyway .. when I refilled my windshield wiper tank with " 30 below" fluid - I always added table salt to the reservoir to keep the lines / squirters clear .. 2-3 teaspoons per refill -- never had a problem with freeze-up.

Reply to
Jon Jon

You must have good windshield wipers. I would think that the salt would leave behind a film on the windshield. I made the mistake of adding brackish hudson river water to my windshield resevoir. First time I attempted to use the sprayers to clean the windshield rendered it almost opaque.

Reply to
Oppie