Front Disk Brakes Question

Hi,

I started do the front brakes on my '96 SL1 yesterday and the rotor (which is to be replaced) is seized on to the hub. I tried a propane torch to heat up the rotor (no good enough)

I looked in the Haynes Manual and it indicates that I'm to thread two self tapping bolts into hooles provided in the rotor.

Ture enough, I have two holes in the rotor..

Does anyone know off hand what size and strength these bolts should be..?

Second question.. I assume that using bolts as a puller of sorts is only to remove the rotor and when I install the new ones, the wheel + wheel nuts will hold the rotor in place..

Thanks, Adrien

Reply to
Adrien

The bolt method didn't work for me, even with grade 8 bolts. The holes in my rotors weren't threaded so I don't know how that could ever work. But a can of penetrant with a very very big hammer did.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

Try MAP gas and some PBBlaster solvent. I have a Jeep on which every fastener needs to be heated and sprayed with PBBlaster to loosen. Heck, it takes MAP gas and PBBlaster just to change the radio station! PBBlaster has always worked for me.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

LOL.....that PB Blaster is some good stuff.....

Reply to
BANDIT2941

PB is great! Mapp sucks though. Might just as well use a bic lighter. Use the Acetylene sixteenth wrench.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I had this problem before, the only solution for me was 5 big swings with a heavy hammer

-Gregory Titievsky

Reply to
Gregory Titievsky