GM done with CVT

Great, the replacement is a *six* speed automatic. Because 5 speeds don't shift enough as it is. IIRC, Ford didn't offer a 5 speed on their recent miivans specifically because the current 5 speeds shift so much that they're annoying. God knows the 5 in my dad's Honda minivan does. even with the cruise on, it's STILL at a loss as to what gear it should be in.

In contrast, a 4L60E behaves just fine, and behaves better around town, too. Hopefully, GM's six speed will be as well behaved. Really, when you get down to it, GM's automatic transmissions are the best out there...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

You have to be kidding. The crap they iunstall in Tahoes is just an explosion waiting to happen. A friend lost his Tahoe's automatic at around 50k miles. THe dealer said - get in line!

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

...sorry for top posting - and on a note of digression, I have noticed several times the weirdest whining noise when I've been in a parking lot next to a newer, full size GM truck/suv. I'm assuming they can't hear it inside - it sound almost electronic, any ideas? (just curious)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Electric fuel pump? They often whine.

Reply to
Art

"Tons"? That'd only be one. :)

Pat

Reply to
Patrick Usenet Cannon

the whining is ,(if its the same thing i have heard) the fuel pumps. c/k trucks. my friends 2000 z71 is really loud, as my 2000 z71 do NOT whine.

Reply to
Charles H.

Isn't it enough to make fun of them for getting an automatic in the first place?

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

More useful to make fun of them for getting a BMW. Most overrated cars next to Lexus. And I don't understand Lexus snobs at all. It's a rebadged Toyota, nothing more.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Lexus, Rebadged and Overpriced. Only a handfull of "old" BMW's I actually liked (2 seaters mostly) and even if I owned one I'd probably feel like a pompous ass driving one... Nothing in over 2 decades has been worth owning by BMW.

Reply to
Blah Blah

And Lexus snobs HATE it when you point out...It's a Toyota. It drives them off the wall.

"But it's a BETTER Toyota!!!"

'Uh, dude, it's the SAME FREAKING CAR, with a different trim level'

"No it's not!!! Lexus is built a lot better!!!"

If you've ever seen an older Lexus next to a same year Camary, they look identical, and are falling apart in identical ways, too.

I've seen some really old BMWs, with drum brakes and all. I'd get one for the old car appeal, but I'm not into BMW. They make a decent bike, though - the old ones are like harleys, you can get parts for them and they run forever, albeit a bit nicer than a same age Harley :/

A friend of mine drove his friend's Z3, commented it's slower than his Caprice (this was the first year Z3 with the crappy 4 banger), the ride quality stunk (something I've noticed BMW excels at), and he didn't think it was overall that great. The BMWs I've been in didn't impress me much - lousy heat, for one, harsh ride, and not all that great.

But, oh, they're pricy. And they break in expensive ways.

Don't get me started on iDrive, either. Or BMW drivers in general...

IMHO, BMW is slowly but surely turning into nothing more than an overpriced Chevy for snobs. Every dip out there has oe, they're really not that reliable, they SUCK in bad weather, and they're a mass produced bang together car like everything else. Hell, even a Benz is a POS these days - they're gone REALLY downmarket, vs the old ones.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

1956-59 507's were probably the few best looking BMW cars made. I like the horizontally opposed BMW bikes with the funky looking suspension set ups. Thats about it.

The Z3 was a 35,000 dollar car new and boy what a waste of money. Save another 10k and buy Corvette that was 100 times the sports car. The only thing the Z3 had going for it was its looks. I seen a few ragged out Z3's and boy do those looks disappear quick. It really stands out as a cheaply made car once the bumpers hanging off and body panels dont line up. Probably from shaking apart.

These days? They havent made anything special since the 50's.

Reply to
Blah Blah

The r27 is a good example of BMW's funky suspensions.

The savior like set up in the rear was found on both BMWs and Indians.
They both also have used leaf spring suspension on the front and rear.
IIRC BMW copied Indians use of leaf springs for the rear.

Blah Blah