GM Piston & Ring Cleaner

What's it made of? Are there any other solvents that would work as well?

Thanks

Reply to
Jim

The safest way to free stuck rings in my "book" is to use a light weight oil like striaght 20 or 5w20 to flush them out a bit because solvent that are added to oil thin oil more than this and reduce lubrication in criticle areas and increase the chance of sludge being released suddenly too. What sticks the rings anyway is oil being left in too long and the VI in the oil cooking out and sticking them.

SnoMan

IIRC, the GM Piston & Ring Cleaner he refers to isn't mixed with the oil and then run in the engine, it's poured into the spark plug holes and let soak for hours to soak the rings. An oil change is then done so as to drain out the solvent that has leaked past the rings and into the crankcase (and of course, the old oil too).

Ken

Reply to
NapalmHeart

I am aware of this but the problem is that it does remove oil from those areas and it takes more than one oil change to remove it completely from system. If you rings stick to begin with you have bigger problem in that you need to change your current maintainance and oil type fir your usage because this is what the major cause of stuck rings is.

SnoMan