hard to get in first gear and whole motor shakes!

My daughter has a 2002 Saturn SC1 three door with approx 33,000 miles on the car. Intermittently when at an idle if you go to put it in first gear the motor will shake and it will be extremely difficult to put into first. Doesn't matter whether the car is cold or warmed up and doesn't happen all the time. Took the car to the Saturn dealership and they ran their tests on the car and said that it checked out fine.

Any thoughts as to what may be going on? Thanks for your reply in advance.

Mike

Reply to
mthoffman

I was waiting to see if someone else answered this before I took a stab at it....However, let me guess - The engine shakes when you do manage to get it in first, while sitting at a light for example, with your foot on the clutch? If I'm correct, then when you take it out of 1st, and have it in neutral, the engine stops shaking. Then, you have a hard time getting it back in to first, unless the car is slightly rolling in which it'll slip right in?

Let me know if I'm close!

Scott

Reply to
IYM

Is that a cable or hydraulic clutch release? Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging completely. If that's the case, it should try to creep with the clutch in on level ground.

Reply to
Oppie

I'll guess and say the hydraulic clutch master or slave is shot. I had one where the air would creep into the system and acted much as yours did. Never did see a leak, but it may have leaked within a rubber boot. Luckily, it was still under warranty and they changed out the whole unit and bled the system. No problems after that (for another 130,000 miles until sold).

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Scott that is exactly what is going on. What do you thinks up?

Reply to
mthoffman

Thanks for all the replys.This car to also under warrenty and extended warrenty and when taken in to have it looked at the problem was such a Mystery????

Reply to
mthoffman

Had the EXACT thing happening on my '94 SL2...And it initially was sporadic, annoyingly happening once in a while, then eventually did the reverse, becoming common with only sporadically working right. I can't promise you the exact solution as I just dealt with it for 75K miles until I traded it in for a new Vue, BUT I can tell you that I had a 190K on the car with the original clutch, so I originally had attributed it to a very worn clutch. However, with only 30K on yours, unless your daughter is riding the clutch, it's a little unusual to wear so quick.

That said, I know that it's limited only to the 5-speed tranny and that it's not engine related. It should be more of what the other two posters mentioned. It's definitely an adjustment in the tranny or clutch related. I would take it to a tranny shop to have it checked out first, as if it is the clutch, I'm not sure it would be covered under warranty. But if the tranny shop tells you what it is, (if something in the tranny) check back with the dealer to see if it's covered.

Sorry I couldn't tell you point blank what it is, only what it isn't....That and a general location to start with. Might be as simple as low fluid level....

Hope this helps a little....

Scott

Reply to
IYM