HELP: 1993 SL1 Window Regulator - READ THIS!!

Ok Saturn guru's... I'm hoping someone can help out with this weird thing.

I have a 1993 Saturn SL1 (4dr/Manual). The driver's side window regulator went, so I went to Saturn to buy the part and have a local mechanic install it. I bought the part and brought it to the mechanic. He said that the part didn't fit properly. He said that it was short about an inch and a half. Ok, so I called Saturn and had them double check the part number -- Yep! It's the "right" part.

Well, I brought it to the Saturn dealer and had them install it. A few hours later, I was brought to the counter and explained that the part was, indeed, too short. The old regulator's channel was 15 1/2 inches, yet the "new" OEM part was 14 1/4 inches. Therefore, the window wouldn't roll up all the way. The Saturn mechanics called other dealerships to have them check their inventory -- they all were 14 1/4 inches.

Saturn told me that they called the engineers and the corporate office to inform them of this and so far have had no response. I was given a rental, but was told it needed to be returned tomorrow even if my car wasn't fixed (i.e. they'd put it back together and call me when they found something).

I don't care about the rental car, but I've never heard of this! My local Saturn told me that manufacturers were different and the parts must have been made to different specs, but they have no idea why they'd be this short.

So, my question is, what do I do now? I haven't looked into junk yards yet to see if there's a part I can grab from something else, but am I just out of luck? I thought that Saturn had their stuff together. Other than this, the car is decent, so I'm not junking it just because of that.

Any ideas on where to find a proper regulator to fit this?

Thanks in advance -- remove the "NOSPAM" in my name to reply: duckie74 at yahoo dot com

Reply to
B. Case