help: electrical problems, 93 Saturn SL2

Most of the time it runs fine.

If she leaves the rear defroster on and turns the key off, the battery goes dead.

Sometimes, after the car starts normally, the aftermarket CD player/radio blinks on/off, the lights and gauges dim or go out, and after she turns the key off, the battery is dead.

I recharge the battery and it ususally starts and runs fine. For a while.

Q's:

  1. Any immediate diagnoses or quick fixes?
  2. Is this something that can be diagnosed with a fancy scanner or computer or electrrical gizmo?

As always, thanks a heap,

-jbb

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

First thing a technician looks for is "Previous Work"... Who ever installed the aftermarket radio has very likely screwed something up.

Reply to
blah blah

Are the metal portions of the body/chassis starting to rust? The problems you describe can happen when there are bad ground connections. Use a meter to check for a voltage drop from battery minus terminal to engine block to various points on the body with the engine and accessories running. I would be concerned with any readings over .2 volt.

Also an excessive voltage drop from the alternator to battery will prevent the battery from charging as it should.

I had this happen on a car that was rusting out. Dashboard lights would flicker, battery liked to go dead, etc. Fixed it by running extra ground wires from the battery to engine to alternator frame to various points on the body. Worked fine after that.

Good luck, Jim

Reply to
Jim, N2VX

Alternator ?