Help! Jerking 1996 SL1

My daughter has a 1996 SL1. Most of the time when she accelerates, the car hesitates and jerks, like you're popping the clutch, but not quite that vigorous. She has changed the fuel filter and PCV valve (no real effect). The local Saturn dealer says there's nothing wrong with it.

Another question..... does the SL1 have a timing belt or a chain? I'm trying to debug the problem over the phone (I'm in Alabama, she's in Texas). She needs some help, she needs the car to do some major college commuting...

Reply to
Stroyer

A bad or loose spark plug wire?

It has a timing chain.

commuting...

Reply to
Mr. Goodwrench

Both the SOHC and the DOHC 1.9 liter inline 4 cylinder engines have timing chains.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Thanks guys.... I was wondering about the timing belt, after all the "hoop-la" about chains in the dealers dog and pony show presentation when I bought mine....

Checked back with her, and she says that she put wires and plugs in the car about 3 months ago... doesn't sound like that's the deal. I can have her put them and then put them back on... maybe that will help... just in case one is not seated well. I can't remember... does the 96 SL1 have an old-style distributor / cap and rotor, or is it all electronic? Could be a worn rotor contact if it is...

Any other ideas?????

Thanks guys!

Reply to
Stroyer

No rotor or distributor cap. It's all electronic. Check the spark plug gap (should be 0.040 not 0.060 inches as published) per my previous post.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

If she replaces the plugs, some things to remember:

1) Plug is NGK BKR4E11 2) Make sure that they are removed when the engine is cold. 3) Make sure that they are gapped to 0.040" 4) Make sure that you put anti-sieze compound on the threads. 5) Make sure that you put dielectric grease on the insulators. 6) Make sure that you don't over torque them.
Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

My daughter's 93 SC1 hdd the same symptons. I changed all the things you did and STILL had the same result.... no improvement.

Then I smelled "a little gas" every so often. Checked the Fuel Pressure Regulator (you can't see it on the TBI unless you look from the driver's seat.) It had a small leak... very small. The part was about $19.00 and took

20 minutes to put in. THAT totally solved the problem and the car and gas-mileage has been GREAT for the last 14000 miles.

Worth a try with your SOHC Saturn with/TBI.

Reply to
paul