Help! - Need some Advice....

Here's the story...

I have a '06 Vue (4cyl, 5spd) I bought in 11/05. I do a lot of driving and my wife talked me into an extended warranty for it (6yr/64K). I'm just approaching 36K now.

The problem is that the dealer I bought the car and the extended warranty from closed (Saturn of Medford, NY) 8 months after I bought the car. Anyway, a new dealer just opened (Saturn of Smithtown) a bit further away and I'm having a grinding/rubber band noise out of the steering column when I turn the wheel in either direction and a slight whistle noise when I turn it to the left. No problem I thought, I'm covered. Well, the new Saturn dealer ran my VIN and told me that the extended warranty company Saturn of Medford had sold me is now also defunct and also out of business. So what does that mean to me? They told me basically that I'm screwed and the car is only covered to 36K.

Does this sound legal to anyone? An Authorized Dealer of Saturn sold me an Authorized Extended warranty service THROUGH Saturn when I bought the car that I am still paying for in the form of a higher monthly bill/loan, and I'm being told "we're still taking the extra money because you agreed to it at the time of the sale, but you don't get the service" Since Saturn sold me the extended warranty, shouldn't they be responsible for picking up the warranty should something like the above happen?? If not, this is real Bullshit...

Something is not right or fair about this.

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

my wife talked me into an extended

closed (Saturn of Medford, NY) 8 months

a bit further away and I'm having a

either direction and a slight whistle

the new Saturn dealer ran my VIN and

now also defunct and also out of business.

car is only covered to 36K.

Authorized Extended warranty service

a higher monthly bill/loan, and I'm

time of the sale, but you don't get the

responsible for picking up the warranty should

Hi, IYM, Sorry to hear of your problem. Have you contacted Saturn Customer Support to ask them about this? I forget the number but it should be in your owner's manual.

Reply to
Steve

First, call your X-tended Warranty company yourself, cut out the middlemen and get the facts straight from them: What type of warranty you purchased, what exactly it covers and doesn't cover and dates & miles of coverage. Also, ask them if what you are trying to fix is covered.

Second, if you are covered, go straight to the Service Manager or Store Manager and calmly explain your situation (remember, you attract more flies with honey). Explain to him that you have already called your extended warranty company and you should be covered (if such is the case).

Third, if they still refuse to provide you with a viable solution, explain to the manager that you intend to call Saturn Customer Service and file a complaint against them. This is a last resort only and should resolve your problem hopefully. Saturn Extended Warranties are useable at any Saturn dealer and should be honored, that is unless you don't have a real Saturn Warranty somehow.

Reply to
marx404

If you bought the Saturn warranty it is honored at any Saturn dealership. If you bought a third party warranty and they no longer exist then you got "a big problem". If you buy an extended warranty always make sure you get the one from the manufacturer.

Assuming this is a third party warranty: Keep in mind you didn't buy anything from Saturn. Saturn sold the car to a dealer who sold it to you. The dealers is an independent business and that is who you bought the car and warranty from. The dealer you bought the car from paid for the warranty at the time you bought the car. Saturn corporate wasn't involved in the transaction and didn't make any money off of it. They can't give your money back because they don't have it...

A similar situation would be if you bought an HP printer from Office Depot with a third party warranty. If Office Depot and the third party warranty go out of business your are left holding the bag. HP will still fix your printer for you but you have to pay.

This really sucks and it has to be causing more people than you grief. You might give your atty. general office a call and see if they are aware of anything regarding this situation.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

OK - I have a feeling it's a third party warranty, as when the new dealer checked, he ran the VIN and could tell me that it wasn't with Saturn itself. I'm really pissed because the original dealer never said anything about a third party. It's my fault I guess that I didn't look carefully at the name on the sheet when I signed, but when your buying, there's so much paperwork from different organizations (banks, etc) that I must have missed it.

Now that said, what if the dealer was still in business but the warranty company was out? Is the dealer liable to do something? The reason I ask is that Saturn of Medford was owned by "DCH Auto Group", which owns a lot of dealers including 2 other Saturn dealers. Wonder if one of the other DCH owned Saturn dealers is liable to cover me....They always advertised "3 Saturn locations", although the other 2 are nowhere near me. Guess I should start there....

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>