High idle speeds

This 96 SL2 I just got for the kid has another weird quirk. The idle speed will not come down when you're coming to a stop. It wants to stay up between

1200-1400 rpm. Of course the trans than downshifts a little hard and this is hard on the brakes. It will stay up at a stop and than settle down to normal. Next time at stopping it does the same thing. Oddly if you just "blip" the throttle while in neutral it does not happen. It will settle down to a normal idle right away. Ideas? Larry
Reply to
jdoe

Vacuum leak, valve body, or TCC.

Reply to
Blah Blah

Reply to
jdoe

Sounds like the idle air control solenoid in the throttle body may not be functioning correctly. This has happened to me and replacing it fixed the problem.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ] "Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers."

Reply to
Lane

jdoe