High RPM, SES light ON, vacum lines??

I have a 96 SL1, the SES light is on, took it to Auto zone, DIAG shows high RPM and recomended cleaning vacum lines. is that easy to do? where exactly are they? ( I'm not a mechanic, in case you can't tell). please help!!!

Reply to
jogone

When the SES light comes on it is storing codes that can accurately indicate what the problems are. Did you happen to get a printout from Autozone showing these codes? If not, thier diagnosis is bogus. Take your SL to a shop (Saturn or otherwise) and have them read the codes. Then you can either post them here or go geta Haynes manual from an auto parts store and that will tell you exactly what the codes mean and how they need to be fixed. (the book will set you back about $15.)This will tell you what needs to be fixed, save you much time and sanity too in the long run.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

High idle RPM can be a number opf things.

1) what is the normal idle rpm at, well, idle, in the car when it's warmed up? 2) It's likely NOT a vacuum leak, unless it's really high (look for a popped off brake booster or PCV hose). Unless the IAC is all the way in and it's still too fast. I suspect that's not what's going on. 3) The idle air control may be stuck. Clean the throttle body/IAC out. 4) Your coolant temperature sensor's messed up. one popular failure mode is to force the idle to be a bit higher than it should be. Given Saturns are notorious for this, I suspect that's it.
Reply to
Philip Nasadowski