HighMileageObservation

I have a 93' SW2 with 205,000 miles. I'm finally thinking of replacing the original clutch. I 've changed the oil every 3k miles. I've been noticing some increased oil consumption lately during periods of much stop and go city driving. Some smoke on high acceleration. Otherwise the car has been very reliable. I've done only routine maintenance. I've had to also replace the serpinetine belt and fuel pump. I'm on the second set of brakes and shocks, third battery, fourth set of tires. I would like to keep this car running into the future and plan to replace the clutch. In terms of piston ring wear, what does the usual repair include? Taking off the head and replacing the rings? Does a head and valve job need to be done also? I also seem to be experincing a subtle vibration from the right front when braking or driving over a rough surface. I went under the car and could'nt detect any loosness in the suspension. Could this be transaxle wear? Any other things to look for in terms of high mileage wear and tear?

-Marty S.

Reply to
Marty Stuczynski

Hey Marty,

At the mileage on your vehicle a total rebuild would probably be in order. Your car has 205k but since it is still strong stick with rebuilding your block. When you buy a rebuild you run the chance of getting a engine that might have some problems they only replace the parts that are really worn say all valves looked good except for 1 well they replace one if you get my picture plus you could get a block that is not in the best shape. Also your heads are probably worn out just due to age and they are aluminum. when you do a rebuild with your block your getting it done locally and they replace everything not done on a engine mill line.

Cost 1 - 1.5k rebuild and another 500 to have a small shop pull it and install it. One thing i read here alot is only saturn will work on a saturn. In cincy where I am most small places will work on just about anything and get parts through napa or another local parts jobber without problems.

If you have never replaced your clutch I would say wow you have a light foot and have been very lucky. While the engine is out replace it won't be as much cause the engine is already pulled. at 205k you can't go wrong with replacing it. Remember to also replace the master and slave clutch cylinder They may not be bad yet but they are at the end of their life and only a matter of time.

Front end Vibration during breaking could be worn rotors or cv joints wearing out. Once again at 205k either could be the problem or both. Another thing if you have never replaced the struts that will cause vib when you drive over rough surface.

At this mileage your wiring is probably starting to get a bit on the brittle side so inspect all wiring. Simple things like window regulators start to go bad bulbs in dash are burning out.. Its kinda the little things that add up.

Bottom line look to spend around 2500.00 total for the engine and clutch and maybe cv joints and your car with proper service will give you another 205k of driving.

"Marty Stuczy

Reply to
Tim G

Exactly how much oil is it burning? I wouldn't mess with it unless it gets unbearably bad. If you rebuild it plan to do rings, bearings, hone, likely new pistons, timing chain, valve job, etc. Take it to a local shop.

If the clutch isn't slipping or otherwise misbehaving, I woudn't worry about replacing it.

Reply to
BANDIT2941