Hitch for my SC2

I was wondering since I saw that Lane had one for his car, how much a hitch would cost (and to install perhaps?) as I'd be needing one for bikes and the like.

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Hah, funny you should ask as this was just covered on the Saturn Performance Club mailing list

I have a "Rigid Hitch" model I bought from my local Saturn dealer for around a hundred bucks. The receiver is bolted to a crossbar which uses existing bolts on the backside of the car's aluminum bumper (at the bumper supports). It also bolts to the underside of the aluminum bumper, but that does require drilling a few holes in it. I believe that I did so without taking off the rear bumper cover and it was very easy. It does not require any holes in the trunk floor, and did not need any trimming of the muffler heat shield.

This is a very attractive model that is minimally visible when viewing the car from the rear. Here's a photo:

A tip - install the wiring converter/control box INSIDE the trunk. It only lasts a few years if mounted outside the vehicle where it is exposed to the elements. The car's electrical system really doesn't like it when that stupid box starts shorting out.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Ah, so hopefully this means that installation is a breeze and only takes a few hours? I'm signing up for the SPC mailing list pronto, thanks for pointing that out!

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Many years ago I put a 1" hitch on my '92 SL2. I purchase a brand new Draw Tite off of ebay for $25, and $25 shipping. Possible model 24550. I am not sure if it is the same for the SC car.

I still use it all the time for my bicycle carrier. This hitch does not bolt to the bumper at all. Four 1/2" carriage bolts go through the trunk floor with large back-up brackets, not washers. The pain on the install was that I had to drop the muffler down and cut part of the shield off to allow hitch clearance. Not really tough, just dirty working around a muffler.

See diagram

This hitch easily holds the weight of my carrier and 3 bikes all the time.

Good Luck, James

Reply to
James1549

I can't really tell how that hitch actually bolts up, but I prefer something more than just something attached to the bumper or bumper brackets. The DrawTite does not depend on the bumper at all. Yes maybe mine took more effort to install, but I feel confident about it.

James

Reply to
James1549

What does it attach to?

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

30 minutes, maybe an hour max.

No prob. It may not have a ton of traffic, but virtually everything there is well-worth reading. The link to the page I posted below will take you to a page where the archive of past list posts are available for anyone to read or search. This is a good preview for those who are considering signing up. Please read the list rules first carefully though, as they are VERY strictly enforced.