Horrible Gas Mileage

I just bought a 2004 Saturn ION 1 and this car is going through gas like it's water. I fill up the tank, drive 35 miles (all freeway) and use up a little over 1/4 tank of gas. What gives?? It's even worse if I don't use the freeway. I can't afford to keep stuffing money into the gas tank like this.

Reply to
Paul

It's either a crazy gauge or it's inhaling fuel - it's brand new, take it to your dealer. My gauge in my 97 appears to be not linear (comes off of full sooner than expected and stays in low a lot longer).

Other than this issue, what is your impression so far of the ION? (just curious)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Reply to
mcyben

Don't rely on gauge movement to show fuel consumption. Do a MPG calculation.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

I vote for gauge on drugs, too. Mine's like that.

I get weird mileage on my '93 SC2. 23mpg around town is about the most I can expect, but It'll touch 40mpg if I do steady state 70mph for a few hours, no a/c.

My (somewhat modified) Harley will get 35mpg, no matter what. i can go

100 on the highway all day, putt around town all day, do burnouts all day...35mpg.

I'm looking to get an old Nova (early 70's, late 60's). I've heard they get 18ish with a turbo 350, but I've got access to a cheap THM700 (neener :) so, with overdrive, it might be better...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

I never really cared about the mileage on my SL2 since I drive with a heavy foot - I did wish at one time that the fuel tank was bigger however these days I rarely make road trips. I swear I almost fell asleep at the wheel the last time I drove up to San Jose (about 500 miles north of San Diego).

Have fun with the Nova - wow, 8 cyls and rear drive should be great.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Remember, if it is brand new, the mileage will not be accurate for the first while. Drive the thing for a bit. I did the same thing with our VUE. Mileage sucked for the first 15000....then it started to get better....at least break the engine in first.

Reply to
Vidar

You cannot look at the gas gauge as an estimate of fuel usage. Sounds like a common issue with Saturns is the swiftly moving gas gauge needle from a full tank. When you fill up the gas tank, then an accurate determination of gas usage will be known.

Reply to
Larry

I've driven stock ones with a 350 and a THM350. They fly. Why can't cars today be so much fun? :(

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

I have the same problem with my '99 SL2. I just changed the plugs and wires too.

I have 71K on mine and I filled up on Mon., and after 50mi I went through a

1/4 tank of gas. But I will wait and see when I fill up again!
Reply to
K2NNJ

You don't think that might have something to do with you pulling the plug wires, not knowing where the new ones go, and flooding it trying to start it since you had the wires on wrong?!

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Maybe, but how long will that last?

Reply to
K2NNJ

Well, if you flood it and waste a lot of gas sitting there, your mileage doesn't increase but your fuel consumption does. So when you fill up for that tank, the gas mileage will be lower than normal.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Ok. But I didn't fill up until after the flooding. Does that matter? When I flooded the engine I had less than a 1/4 of a tank.

Reply to
K2NNJ

You would have to flood the bloody Jesus out of it to have a noticeable effect on fuel economy. If he normally gets 30 mpg, he would have to pump a quart of raw gas through the engine just to drop to 26 mpg.

Reply to
satyr

After those 35 miles, fill up again to see how many gallons were truly used. "What gives" is that your gauge may not be reflecting the reality you'd like.

Reply to
Fustanella

Thats the point! If during the course of the tank you flooded the engine, your gas mileage will go down. How much it drops depends on how bad it was flooded, but it is conceivable that it dropped quite a bit if you were messing around with different plug wire orders, etc.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Reply to
Teem

Out of a full tank of gas, I got 250mi out of it. I normally get 350mi per tank full. I hope my gas mileage improves dramatically.

If it dosen't I don't know what it could be.

Reply to
K2NNJ

Just checked my 1999 SW2 with 58K and I'm down to 26.8MPG. The past summer I was getting 38. Could be the gas or the long warm-ups. I'm in upstate NY and it's cold here.

BTW at 3/4 on the gauge I traveled 60 miles. At least it's better than my 1981 Chev full size Blazer that gets 10MPH all the time.

Steve

Reply to
Steve