Hot start problem

Does anyone know if the solenoid on Saturns are located on the starter like other GMs? A relative seems to be having a hot start problem and I was wondering if an overheated solenoid could be the reason.

lab~rat

Which model/year Saturn? S-Series have the solenoid with the starter (if I can read my Chilton's manual). Is the hot-start problem one where the gear isn't engaging the flywheel, or where the starter cranks for an extended period of time and the engine doesn't fire off?

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:55:39 -0700, "Jonnie Santos" puked:

Actually, it's a problem where the heat creates a lot of resistance in the starter wire and makes the battery appear dead. I don't know what year the car is.

Here's a link about the mod:

lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

Reply to
lab~rat

...interesting mod - I hadn't heard of Saturn starters being a problem or the resistance in the wire due to heat (not saying it isn't so, just not familiar). I have heard of a ground strap coming loose, and failing fuel pumps that cause extended cranking.

Chilton's says in their troubleshooting section for "Starter motor will not rotate engine" (page 2-15) re: 1991-1998 manual (8419) 62300

-Cause

--Solution

-Battery charge low or battery defective

--Charge of replace battery

-Faulty solenoid

--Check solenoid ground. Repair or replace as necessary

-Damaged drive pinion gear or ring gear

--Replace damaged gear(s)

-Starter motor engagement weak

--Bench-test starter motor

-Starter motor rotates slowly with high load current

--Inspect rive yoke pull-down and point gap, check for worn end bushings, check ring gear clearance

-Engine seized

--Repair engine

And then here's the basic flow of activating the starter... (page 2-8)

1991-1998 manual (8419) 62300

"When the ignition switch in the START position, the starter relay enabled and the transaxle, in the P (Park) or N (Neutral) position, power flows to the small terminal of the starter solenoid. Power through the pull-in winding also flows through the starter motor. The motor rotates slowly at fist so the fears mesh and the solenoid contacts close. This allows full battery power to flow directly to the cranking motor."

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:14:44 -0700, "Jonnie Santos" puked:

Thanks for your response, I wonder why it only happens when it's hot?

lab~rat

...I'm hoping someone else will post their thoughts - I'm making the assumption your friend's Saturn is an S-Series too...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos