How do I remove battery?

I have never had a problem removing a car battery till my bro-n-law asked me for help. Looks like some electrical thingy is in the way. Looks like a push-tab needs to be depressed....to slide the thingy up and out. The bolt for the bracket is under this thingy. Am I going down the right trail? Matt

Reply to
2001LseriesVacaville

push-tab

What car are you talking about?

Reply to
Napalm Heart

It's his brother-in-law's car, of course!

Reply to
Terry

LOL!

Reply to
BANDIT2941

sorry I couldn't resist that one....

Reply to
Terry

I think that the poster's email address is the give-away - 2001 L series...

Dunno, haven't had to deal with this myself yet. Looks like there is a baffle that deflects heat away from the battery. there is also a thermal blanket on the battery. I'll look in the shop manual but the index in the print manual absolutely sux. One day I might break down and buy the CD-ROM. Anybody interested in pooling resources to buy it. $300 is a bit rich for me right now. Oppie '01 lw300

Reply to
Oppie

I thought that would be his car. His question was about his brother-in-law's car.

Ken

Reply to
Napalm Heart

If it is the L300 series you want to remove the battery from -

remove - battery cable. remove + battery cable. remove battery blanket. remove fan control module by pulling upwards to detach from mounting bracket. this is located on front side of battery. with fan control module out of the way, you can see that its' mounting bracket also mounts the battery. remove bolt and bracket. remove battery.

Silly me. I went looking in the electrical manuals for this one. found it instead in the engine manual. over the years, I've worked on ford, chrysler, VW, fiat, bmw and volvo. I have never had such problems with finding what I need in the shop manual as on this saturn. Not that the manual itself is bad, just finding what you need is hard. It's just one of those things which works best online where you can search for any term and find all the occurrences.

Reply to
Oppie