How do you remove the Power Steering Pump on a 1998 SL1?

I'm putting new valve stem seals on my 1998 SL1. Its turning out to be a lot more difficult than I anticipated. The first major problem was removing the crankshaft bolt. After wrestling with it by hand, I read about the starter trick. That didn't work either. Then I found a post somewhere that said the best thing to do is cut the flange off the bolt. The flange on the SL1 is not very large, but the washer is huge. I cut into the washer with a Dremel tool, but not completely cutting it off, so the pulley wasn't damaged. I guess that was enough to relieve most of the torque and it came off fairly easy after that using the breaker bar.

I've now got the top motor mount, belt tensioner and idle pulley removed. But, I can't figure out how to take the power steering pump off. I've taken off two of the bolts on the pump's bracket that go into the timing chain cover. The third bolt is not accessible because the pulley on the PS pump is blocking it. Removing the pulley would allow access to that bolt. But, I don't see any obvious way to take off the pulley. The repair book I have doesn't give much help on this removal.

Can someone explain to me how to remove the PS pump?

Thanks.

Reply to
gardinx4

Reason?

Its difficult to remove because its held by a loctite around the flange. Try a torch next time...

Rotate the pulley to locate bolts through the holes in the pulley...

If you're doing all of this because of an oil burning issue then you are likely going about it in the wrong way.

-poster formally known as BlaBla

Reply to
=3FCronus

Thanks for the info on rotating the pulley. I didn't even notice there were several bolts behind it. I've got it off now and can continue with the project.

I'm hoping the problem is just a valve stem seal. The car had recently started to hesitate a little bit. I figured it was time to replace the plugs. Pulled the No. 1 plug wire and the end of it was coated in oil. Not just a light coat, it was actually dripping off the boot. I thought I must have somehow spilled oil onto it the last time I put some in the motor. Pulled the plug and it was coated with oil as well. It also looked like there was oil on top of the piston. Then I did a compression test. No. 1 was 250 and the others were about 190.

Anyway, I imagine the head needs to come off to determine the real problem. I'm a DIY kind of person, but haven't done this type of repair in 25 years. Its more difficult and frustrating than I remember.

Reply to
gardinx4