how many miles before the oil change light comes on?

i know saturns need frequent oil changes to maximize engine life. but my

2001 SC1 has been working great with synthetic oil and high quality filters. this winter i used 0w-40 oil and then took a 1000 round trip to Winnipeg in some pretty harsh conditions. When I got back the oil was still clean and full. a few weeks later, it still is. when i change the oil i always push the reset button, but i guess i always change it before the dash light comes on. but maybe the synthetic oil can last long enough to depend on the cars computer. i would think that 5000 or 6000 miles might be ok. i'd rather just the oil in december and maybe not worry about changing it again until early march. i would change it if the light came on. 0w-40 has worked great in my old honda with 170000 miles and it didn't leak or burn. in extreme cold it lets the engine smooth out fast.

so does anyone know how many days and/or miles before the change oil light comes on?

Reply to
c0smic

I've read the oil change light comes on after a certain amount of starts and run times is calculated. I would use the Change Oil light as the rule, and in mine without that feature I stick to the 3 months or 3000 mile change interval (which because I don't drive a lot ends up being more like 2000 miles for me and my 97SL2).

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

On the '01 L300, As I recall, the manual states that the oil change light interval is calculated based on number of miles driven and oil temperature. Higher temp => shorter interval.

Reply to
Oppie

Reply to
mcyben
2001 L300 V6

Approx 7,000 miles w/Mobil 1 5W30 commuting about 15mi each way.

Reply to
Mr. Goodwrench

I didn`t even know there was a change oil light on a Saturn. I have a 97 SC2 and have never seen it come on. Does it show up on the instrument pannel when you start the car. Maybe I have never seen it because I get the oil changed every 3 months.....and don`t drive it 3,000 miles between. Dan

Reply to
Mason121

The oil change light made its appearance in the '01 L-series. I had a 97 SL2 before my L200 and I had to ask about the light because resetting it was noted on the work order once when I brought my SL in for an oil change.

Reply to
Bryan

thanks for the replies. chances are i'll change the oil before the light comes on. this summer i will try it and see how long it takes and how much oil needs to be added. it doesn't seem to use any oil now, but i did add a couple of quarts when i first bought it used 10000 miles ago. the previous owner, lacy jean, may not have revved up the engine enough to break it in. i will post the details when the light comes on sometime this summer.

Reply to
c0smic

It should vary. My 2001 SL1 turnes on the oil change light at about

5300 miles though I change it more often. I drive 35 miles each way for work and it is highway all the way.

I change at 3000 since engine is still low mileage.

Wes

c0smic wrote:

Reply to
clutch