How new a DOHC motor will easily replace the existing 96 DOHC?

How new a DOHC motor will easily replace the existing 96 DOHC in my SC-2?

My 96 Sc2, was just recently promoted to not being my daily driver. The car is great, served me well. Even though I've probably been too fussy about replacing parts it is still showing it's age, Now that I don't need to drive it every day, I can give major item loving care it needs. It has 189K on it, the automatic trans seems as good as new, however, the motor is showing signs of wear. When replacing the motor, I'm hoping to find a good used motor. However most of the used motors I'm seeing at wrecking yards have the expected mileage for their age. So how new can i go in model years and still get a motor which will work?

Thanks

Jim

Reply to
j.polley

'97.

That is the simple answer.

The more complex answer is '98. The fuel rail is different.

--=20 =EF=BB=BFKevin M. Keller Director, News & Promotions Saturn Performance Club

Reply to
Kevin

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. How is it showing signs of wear?

Reply to
BläBlä

Right, and why replace instead of rebuild/recondition?

Reply to
Doug Miller

because often you can get a low mileage used motor for less than it would cost to rebuild.

--=20 =EF=BB=BFKevin M. Keller Director, News & Promotions Saturn Performance Club

Reply to
Kevin

Guess you missed the part where he said he's having trouble finding low-mileage used motors.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I have found several low-mileage used motors on eBay for a very good price.

Information on parts interchangeability can be found here:

A rebuild is almost never worth it unless you're doing it yourself to learn, or enjoy it as a hobby. It is a minimum of $1000 in parts and machining in addition to all your removal/assembly/installation labor. The last motor I bought on eBay was $200 and had 19k miles on it.

As asked by another poster - exactly what is wrong with the current motor?

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane

Thanks for the advice and the link - It will be helpful, when I start on this project.

It's burning quite a bit of oil. Approx. a qt per 500 - 600 miles. Not exactly sure on the exact amount. If I drive it 2+ weeks (400 - 700 miles) it will need a quart. I'm not seeing any leakage either under the car, nor in the engine compartment. I'm not seeing smoke when I'm driving, idling or pulling away from stoplights. But on startup after sitting overnight I get quite a bit of smoke, enough to be able to see it drift by me as I back out of the driveway.

This may be motor mount related, but recently I have been feeling a noticeable shake when idling in drive. If I put it in park or neutral then things smooth out.

Thanks again

Jim

Lane wrote:

Reply to
j.polley

This was what I thought you were going to say! You're motor is likely still good. You just have stuck oil control rings. You need to do a piston soak to unstick them. The odds of getting your oil consuption under control is pretty good.

Read this thread

can try MMO, Seafoam, or GM top engine cleaner for this. You should also do compression tests to see where you are before and after the soak.

Far easier and cheaper than replacing the engine!

Reply to
BläBlä

I have, for years, used @ 8oz of MMO in the crankcase a week or so before an oil change. I had not thought of using MMO or Seafoam in this way.

Thanks