How similar are '96 and '99 Saturns?

I've had a '96 SL-2 for a couple of years, and bought a full set of factory service manuals for it almost immediately.

Just bought a '99 SL-2 earlier this week, which is obviously a very similar vehicle. My question is, *how* similar? Certainly the '96 manuals will be adequate for at least some repairs on the '99, but I don't have a feel for whether that portion might be 5%, or 95%, of the tasks.

Any guidance would be appreciated. TIA.

Reply to
Doug Miller

they should be comparably similar, not much different at all, same 1.9L engine and same trannys in both..

Reply to
marx404

Any suggestions on where to get a set of manuals (or DVDs?) for a 98 SL-2?

Thanks David Ross

Reply to
DLR

IIRC 'Lane' knew most of the ends and outs of the changes in the S- series. I dont think he has posted here for some years. I think there were a number of changes in 97 and I think the heads were altered as well. Also at some point the resistance for the shift solenoids changed.

Reply to
BläBlä

I got mine on eBay. You might also be able to order them from a Saturn dealer. IIRC, I checked into that, and went the eBay route after finding that they were indeed available from Saturn, but at a price higher than I was able to afford at the time. I paid about $75 for a three-volume set of printed manuals in three-ring binders. These are Saturn factory service manuals, the same ones used in Saturn dealership service departments, not Haynes or Chilton manuals.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You can refer to the ultimate swap guide for engine/drivetrain differences:

I was in the same boat with purchasing the correct service manuals for a car when I had some that were a few years different. I decided that no matter how similar the cars were, it would only take one difference to potentially mis-diagnose or fix something incorrectly. I sold my old FSMs to a friend and bought the correct ones.

Lane [ lane (at) evilplastic.com ]

Reply to
Lane