I need some help with my RUSTY Saturn

My '92 SL2 has really been a good car for the last 12 years. Minimal repairs and it still looks nearly new with 101k on the odo.

Recently I noticed some rust appearing in the rear door sills. I know this is normal for this model and year. But I would like to hear if anyone has repaired this problem and how. Please see pics.

Thanks, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

James1549

On my 94 SL2, I used a rust converter liquid called Good Stuff. It is a harsh chemical that will safely kill active rust and convert it to black primer. You can find it many auto parts places. Great for killing and preparing basic surface rust for repainting.

If you are referring to the bottom of the rear dooor, inside the door wheere the step plate is, I had the same thing. Bad bad Saturn for never correcting this on S-series models. Keep on top of it with Good stuff and touch-up paint. Make sure to allow each application of Good stuff to dry a few hrs.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

oh, I forgot, also best to prep surfaces w/ a soft wire brush and (if needed) fine sandpaper when prepping to kill rust, gives a smoother result.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

best thing to do with any car where roads are salted is to spray it down and out real good in spring. that means hit every nuck and cranny. wheel wells, "inside" rocker pannels, behind trim, every place you normally wouldnt think to clean.

Reply to
blah blah

Mind if I piggyback your thread? I've got a '97 SW2, nice car, but the leading edge of the hood is rusting. For a home repair, will that "Good Stuff" work when the rust is already bubbling up & starting to flake off?

& can I expect to find a dark green primer? ;-)

I live in Hawaii and can't avoid the salt air; what else on this car is prone to serious corrosion? (Most cars ten years or older out here are rolling rustbuckets.)

Reply to
just another

already bubbling up

You might look into buying yourself some POR-15 out there as an investment. (por=paint over rust) If its rusting from the inside out then you need to paint on the inside as well.

Reply to
blah blah

POR 15 is excellent stuff and so is Good Stuff, but if you are experiencing bubbled up rust then it is already too late. as the metal has already been eaten through. At that point, best to sand down the affected area , removing all rust then use POR 15 or naval jelly to kill any remaining surface rust. As there are bubbles, this most likely means that there will be holes left where you sanded down the bubbled up rust. If there are holes, you will need to bondo them in and sand the surface smooth again before priming and painting the surface to match.

There are lots of good how-tos and tips for how to repair rusted thru panels if you search Google.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Its a 10 year old Saturn, not a 69 Camaro. Its not worth that kind of effort. Just stop whats there and get a few more years out of it...

Reply to
blah blah

oh wait this is about a 97' saturn now. all rust must be removed or priming and painting is a waste of time. need sleep.

Reply to
blah blah

yep, it was J. A. who has the 97 SW2, which has now become a hot commodity now that Saturn has stopped making them.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

FYI :::

There was this product called EXTEND, made by loctite. What it did is penetrate the metal to kill the rust instantly. Would never rust ever again. Now I hear, I live in N.B. Canada, this product has been replaced by another product, ehich of course I don't remember the name...DUH !!! It was created for marine enthusiastes I am told. It consists of two cans : one of cleaner and one of rust destruction. It's supposed to protect your vehicle longer that you'll wish to keep it. One kit will cover about 12 square feet. So you might want to find someone else who has rust problems because once it's open it has to be used......

Hope this is of some help. Good luck...

Larry

Reply to
Larry