installing fog lights on '02 SC2

I want to install additional fog lights (55W halogens) to the under-fascia of my '02 SC2. The oem fogs even with silverstars just arent bright enough. I want to know if I can wire the new fog lights to use the same switch that the oem fog lights use (on the dash) so that both the oem fog lights and the new ones work together? Will the wiring/fusing handle it? AGain, I am planning to use nothing more than 55W. TIA.

Reply to
marx404

I don't have an '02 book to look at to see how the fogs are wired. If they run off a relay, which most do, then you would probably be ok. Personally I would run my own relay for the new lights. That way you are not overloading any factory relays or switches. Use the 'hot' wire going to the factory fogs to trigger the new relay.

James

Reply to
James1549

With consideration of the realities of winter driving and how hard it is to keep the lower rad air deflector in place, I would not want to mount any lights under the front bumper. IMHO, The S series front fascia is pretty flimsy and seems to disintegrate easily, I doubt you will find much that is solid enough to mount lights unless you bolt or weld brackets to the aluminum front crossframe which would be a good solid mount. The front fascia comes off easily for access, structural modification at your own risk.

Sounds like you are really installing high power driving lights and not fog lights? Conventional wisdom (??) is/was that fog lights should be mounted low and long range lights should be mounted high. There are also variations (of opinion) in how lights should be aimed, some suggest spreading or crossing beams to better illuminate the ditches and corners while also providing a central hot spot, YMMV try several methods. The use of higher power bulbs in the main headlight units may give better light intensity and range due to their higher mounting location. The low location may be best for mounting flat beam top fog lights which could be directed slightly spread towards the ditches.

I would suggest that any high power load should be wired with a relay to minimize voltage drop due to wire size and length, as well as allowing the use of existing and probably undersized wiring and switches for control.

IMHO the stock light units have too much difference between the high and low beam angles. When the low beams are adjusted correctly the high beams seem to be focused too high and do not give a nice hot spot on the distant road surface. When the high beams are correctly adjusted the low beams seem to be focused too close to the car.

I have thought about putting bumper corner lights on my SW1 but not enough to motivate its accomplishment. I am not a big fan of low mounted lights for winter use as reflection is greater on snow covered roads and in blowing snow. What kinds of lights are recommended? and Why?

Good luck, YMMV

Reply to
Private

And I thought you just asked a few simple questions... WOW

Reply to
James1549

The question isnt where to mount them, it's how to wire them. There is no show where I am, only giant potholes that form overnight and small animals. I need a 55W light (same as headlamp) to light up the road better than the silvania silverstars that I already put in both my head and foglamps.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

"I would suggest that any high power load should be wired with a relay to minimize voltage drop due to wire size and length, as well as allowing the use of existing and probably undersized wiring and switches for control."

Suggest you run a SHORT & BIG wire (with fine strands not solid core) from the positive junction terminal through an inline fuse and a relay to the lights, use any existing (or new) switched wiring to control the relay. Use a good clean ground. Big & Short wires result in brighter lights that also last longer.

Larger (and probably illegal) bulbs may be available but are expensive and have shorter service life. Use of a relay may be necessary to power larger bulbs in stock housings.

Good Luck & Happy Trails

Reply to
Private

Sounds like an echo in here....