Ion Air Conditioning

I get the "feeling" that push button re-circulator switch is what really drains the milage,when it is activated,I can hear something starting up,someone said it's just to keep the cool air inside,but,I think it's a booster for the AC.

Reply to
teem

Should make no difference (in fact it probably uses less gas because it's cooling already cool air and not hot outside air). Nothing starts up when you turn that on, it just makes more noise because it's pulling air from inside the cabin.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

drains the milage,when it is activated,I can hear something starting up,someone said it's just to keep the cool air inside,but,I think it's a booster for the AC.

The re-circ button does not use more or less gas. You would have to have vacuum operated doors with a vacuum leak before any possibility of your air box causing any increase in gas consumption. One should try reading ones owners manual for more clarification.

Reply to
Blah blah

I wouldn't say it uses more gas on my car. The re-circ button does seem to give the AC a little more power, but that is only because it is drawing air from inside the cabin. I use the re-circ button all the time in warm weather.

"teem" wrote in message news:ybctc.1290$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com... I get the "feeling" that push button re-circulator switch is what really drains the milage,when it is activated,I can hear something starting up,someone said it's just to keep the cool air inside,but,I think it's a booster for the AC.

[...]

difference, I don't always use my AC, I open the sunroof and sometimes just have it on vent. Not to mention I like to accelerate quite a bit.

said just to leave it off.it just seems when i use it,the gas milage is worse,i'm leaving it off on this fill up & see if theres a difference.

to give the AC a little more power, but that is only because it is drawing air from inside the cabin. I use the re-circ button all the time in warm weather.

drains the milage,when it is activated,I can hear something starting up,someone said it's just to keep the cool air inside,but,I think it's a booster for the AC.

Man this is the case of the blind leading the blind. Sorry if that sounds harsh but let me simplify this for ya's.

-Re-circ OFF: Air is drawn in from the outside through the cowl (aka firewall) across the evaporator.

-Re-circ ON: Air from the outside is shut out and now air from "inside" the cabin is drawn across the evaporator.

Now then... How does changing the source of air flow through the air box effect gas mileage????????

THIS is how you to make use of the re-circ button...

-WHEN the air outside is hotter than the air inside the cabin, TURN RE- CIRC ON.

-WHEN the air inside the cabin is hotter than the outside, TURN RE-CIRC OFF.

Cooler air is the most efficient way of getting the cabin COOLER obviously. SOOOO then having the cabin cool down FASTER is the best thing to do if you want to save gas mileage because that MEANS you can turn your AC down and not have it WORK so hard.

Reply to
Blah blah

O.K.! you're right!,maybe the fill up before this was a lousy gas,I shoot for 390-400 miles a tank,with ac on (& re-circ) i can barely squeeze out

difference, I don't always use my AC, I open the sunroof and sometimes just have it on vent. Not to mention I like to accelerate quite a bit.

tech said just to leave it off.it just seems when i use it,the gas milage is worse,i'm leaving it off on this fill up & see if theres a difference.

seem to give the AC a little more power, but that is only because it is drawing air from inside the cabin. I use the re-circ button all the time in warm weather.

really drains the milage,when it is activated,I can hear something starting up,someone said it's just to keep the cool air inside,but,I think it's a booster for the AC.

Reply to
teem
390miles per tank? I get about 425KM tank.. which is about 264miles, I should lay off the gas pedal a little I think...

Blah blah

Knowing the difference between your long term fuel trim and teems long term fuel trim would be interesting. I dont know which Ions you guys have, maybe he has a coupe and you have the sedan?

Reply to
Blah blah

I drive a 5spd Coupe with about 14000KM on it.

It's still a pretty big difference between his milage and mine. I filled up a day or so ago.. I'll ease up on the pedal and see what I can squeeze out of that. This is all city driving...