Ion intermittent ignition switch problem

I have a 2003 Saturn Ion with an intermittent flaky ignition switch. Recently I noticed I can sometimes remove the key and the engine would keep running, or at other times the lights would stay on after removing the key. The door chime also comes on with the key removed at other times. Is there some kind of ignition switch defect common to many of these cars? Is it just a mechanical problem, or is there an electronic ignition module that's going bad? The dealer won't do anything because they "can't find anything wrong", ie, the switch works perfectly when I take it in to them and they try it.

Reply to
James McCreary

Haven't heard about an ignition switch problem like that on an Ion before.. that's pretty much what it has to be though.a

Reply to
Robert Hancock

James, I too have a 2003 Saturn Ion and am experiencing problems with the ignition. My problem involves the key remaining stuck in the ingition after I have turned the car off. Apparently there is a safety feature that will not allow you to remove the key from the ignition unless the car is in park -- problem is, my car is in park and I still can't get the key out of the ignition. I always try to re-park my car and turn my wheels in case the position of my wheels is locking up the ignition, but it never gets my key out of the ignition. Anyway, I know that my problem is not uncommon b/c there is an entire page in my owner's manual explaining what to do when you can't get the key out of the ignition. Although I have become quite adept at overriding the safety feature when necessarily, I would prefer that the problem be taken care of once and for all. I have taken my car in to the dealership on three occasions, and am taking it in for the fourth time. I've been advised that unless they can duplicate the problem while they have my car there, they will not do anything else to fix the ignition. All that they have done is replace the ingition housing. This is ridiculous. My warranty will expire next year, I'll still be having this problem, and it is likely that when I take the car in for this ignition problem after the warranty has expired, that is when they will be able to "duplicate" the problem and replace the faulty parts, and I'll be on the hook for $600 or more. I am very dissatisfied with my Saturn and the service provided by Saturn at this time. These Saturns definitely have either a manufacturing or design defect with regard to the ignitions.

Reply to
ELY

The problem may not be your tumbler but rather the shifter. What in park trips to let the key out?

Reply to
Blah Blah

In order to get my key out of the ignition, I have to pry off a small piece of plastic from the steering column, reach up into the steering column with a finger, and press a small button to the left while simultaneously turning the key in the ignition. Then the key can be removed from the ignition. This is precisely how the owner's manual instructs you to deactivate the safety device that prevents you from removing the key from the ignition when the vehicle is not in park. Apparantly the safety device also prevents the key from being removed when the car is in park. Go figure.

Reply to
ELY

You're probably not getting a signal from the Park switch from the shifter. If nothing else tape the button down.

I really need new GM eSI disk... :-(

Reply to
Blah Blah