Ion vs. Chevy Cobalt: same car?

I might be in the mrket for a new car next year and two of the reasonable choices in my price range are the Saturn Ion and the Cevrolet Coabalt. (Of course another option is to buy a bigger, safer higher-end vehicle used, but I want to go new if I can; I've fought most of the used car battles over the years, though for the most part I'm satisfied with my current Saturn SL2, bought used with 30K miles in April 2003.)

Anyway, I've been looking into both cars online and I was struck by the many similarities or identical features between the two, even considering they are both compacts made by GM. Then of course I read that they are built on the same platform and the light bulb went off....

What if any are the key differences between the Ion and the Cobalt? Is anyone out there in the sane boat as me: looking at both cars and scratching your head? Anyone driven both?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Eric M

Reply to
emark

Sorry for the typos above. Yes I speak English and no I am not drunk; just need to force myself to review the message before I hit "send."....

BTW the gas mileage for both gives me pause. I will likely get the automatic tranny, which only yields 24/32 per EPA. That seems a bit low to me for a car this size with a 4-cylinder engine....ERM

Reply to
emark

snipped-for-privacy@poconorecord.com typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

They are basically the same, in terms of size and performance. Obviously, the Saturn has polymer panels, and the quad coupe. Cobalt has traditional guage placement. I've driven them both at work (from the parking lot into the shop), but that's maybe 500', so I'm not realy well versed in the Cobalt. I've driven an ION Red Line a bit more.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

Car and Driver seems to prefer the Cobalt over the Ion. I would say go look over the "fit and finish" and "touchy feely" of both cars in person. From my first impressions I would prefer the Cobalt over the Ion, but that's my opinion. Other people will probably say "same shit, different pile."

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Thanks. I'm in the market for a small sedan, not a coupe. I like the polymer panels on my SL2---no dings or dents, as advertised---but that's not a huge issue for me. It does seem strange the Cobalt got relatively good reviews from the so-called experts, while the Ion got hammered or at least was not praised very much.

Also, one more question, if I may: Does the L300 still come with the

4-cylinder engine that everyone raved about? A quick check at MSN Auto indicates the L300 can only be had with the V-6 now.

Regards, Eric M

Reply to
emark

Thanks. It is amazing the difference in the reviews for what is in many ways almost the same car. I'd still like to see better gas mileage for a car this size with a four-cylinder, but if I decide to go through with my plan to buy a new car early next year I will look closely at both the Ion and the Cobalt---and might consider the Saturn L-series, if it still comes with a four-cylinder, which does not appear to be the case.

That's at the high end of my price range, but I have this dream of getting a quality new car, taking great care of it, paying it off and then riding off to Paradise in it, without major problems, for a few years after that, Just because it's never happended to me or anyone I know so far, does not mean it can't happen now....

Regards, Eric M

Reply to
emark

snipped-for-privacy@poconorecord.com typed until their fingers bled, and came up with:

The L series is over after the '05 model year. The L200 had the EcoTec 4 banger in it - the L300 only had the V6.

Reply to
Kevin M. Keller

My wife rents cars from National several times per month on company trips. The Cobalt was the first car that she thought was decent. Normally she dreads the GM stuff she has to choose from. From what I've read, GM spent a few hundred bucks extra per car to reduce noise, vibration and harshness. About time. Notwithstanding, Consumer Reports was less then thrilled.

My father has a L300 wagon with the 6. Quite frankly, I cannot believe how bad it is. The steering is numb and the engine has no power at the low end unless you use mid grade gas. The AC evaporator fan is incredibly noisy when it is running high speed. The rear seats are uncomfortable. His is all optioned up with leather.

I would look at the PT Cruiser which has an excellent repair record, comparable to imports, and Toyota. Also the quality of the Focus has improved dramatically. A friend of mine has one and loves it.

Reply to
Art

Oh so its terrible and expensive to maintain? Screw the 3.0's and PT Loser's. The only rare Limited edition PT is the non Limited edition. Chryslers are a b*tch to work on, just like working on 3.0's in Saturns....

Eric, step up a little from the Cobalt (man that really doesnt roll of the tongue) and take a look at a 2.2L Malibu. Its a bit more in base price but you do get more car for the money and you get about the same MPG. Just stay away from the 3.5L.

Reply to
blah blah

I test drove a Malibu Maxx. Not a bad ride but check out the rear roof shade. If they haven't fixed the design it is ridiculously cheap. Details like that are why people give up on GM cars. Instead of fixing the details, GM spends a billion on a new platform. I can't figure it out. Just sweat the details and people would like the cars they have.

Reply to
Art

Ah, that explains it. I shouild have paid closer attention. Thanks....ERM

Reply to
emark

blah blah wrote: (SNIP)

Thanks for the advice. The Malibu 4-cylinder might be worth a look. I was told several times never to buy the old version of the Malibu, circa 1999, because it had a horrible side-crash-test rating and some said it also had a propensity to catch fire in crashes, though I never saw a convincing cite for that.

The 'new' version seems to be better. It's almost the perfect size for my wants and needs and it has pretty decent standard equipment, but as always it comes down to money. As noted, I really want to buy new if I can afford it and a new Malibu with ABS will be just about $20K with tax, transfer, etc.

Of course I will get a decent trade-in on my 2000 SL2, and maybe I can negotiate a few hundred off the list price---truth be told, I prefer Saturn's no-haggling policy, but I'll take what I can get---but it's still a chuck of change. Cars are just too damn expensive.

Also, getting back to gas mileage: It amazes me the Malibu 4-cylinder automatic actually gets better mileage on the highway, at least per EPA tests, than the much smaller and lighter Colbalt or Ion. Whatever happened to the laws of physics?

Regards,

Eric M

Reply to
emark

Physics still apply but they are less obvious

06' 2.2 Cobalt/Ion Final Drive Ratio 3.63

06' 2.2 Malibu Final Drive Ratio 3.29

Either one should easily meet or exceed they're rated mpg from the EPA. Both are about 3100 pounds. The earlier Malibu's didnt use an Ecotec so its not what you're looking for anyway.

Reply to
blah blah

Check the weekend ads. You should get the Malibu for invoice. Check out

and
to get a handle on what the new car should cost and what your trade is worth. You might try selling the car privately although be careful on the form of payment because people can forge bank checks. Last time I sold a car, we did the deal at the bank and I watched him get the check. I explained why and he wasn't insulted. I wouldn't be either.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
teem

Better gas mileage than I get.

I drive an Ion3 5spd and the most I can usually get about 450km (city driving) which I believe is about 280miles.