ION vs VIBE

Dear Group,

This is my first visit to rec..saturn. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Our family is planning to replace our 13 year old Eagle Summit Wagon.

Due to family connections we are trying our best to select a GM product.

With this in mind we have narrowed our selections to this year's Pontiac VIBE or the ION 2. Both will have a manual transmission and with almost identical options the ION 2 is less expensive.

We like VIBE's connection to Toyota as our first car was a Corolla which was with us for 14 years.

We have no experience with the Saturn division of GM but we hope it really is different i.e. special.

So far we have test driven only a VIBE automatic. I thought the space and layout of the interior were very good but the engine noise, at least in the lower gears of the automatic, was significant :(. We will drive an ION shortly.

Any comments or suggestions?

-- Doug

-- D. Mitchell

Reply to
Doug Mitchell

The two mentioned vehicles are not even in the same category. If you are replacing a station wagon, then your choice of Vibe seems right.

Although cheaper, the Ion will not offer you the same versatility as Vibe. Vibe and Matrix share a lot of their powertrain components, thus assuring renown Toyota dependability without a Japanese nameplate on the back of your car. What a great concept! I drove both the cars you mentioned. Both are noisy, but comfort level is acceptable. Performance even with manual is mediocre (although Vibe GT is really a Celica Station Wagon, but costs way too much)

I was in a market for a new car until my finances changed and I settled for a slightly used Saturn. Even as a second owner (with some of the original warranty still in place) I really was treated well at the Saturn dealer and the car itself seems to be put together right, if not a bit sloppy in places.

In the case of both of these cars, what the Pontiac has going for it is the undeniable Toyota connection and the cargo space, Saturn shines when it comes to customer service and let's not forget those famous unbeatable polymer body panels and. Now that Saturn is starting to share models with other GM products, polymer may sadly become a thing of the past. Based on my quick test-drive neither car has much else to recommend, but out of a short list of new cars I considered,Vibe was my number 1.

I suppose a Saturn VUE with Honda's V6 is out of the question for you, ha?

Doug Mitchell wrote:

Reply to
Darius

I buy cars based on engine first, the rest is secondary. I cant stand Toyota engines. However the Ecotec is by far the best 4 cylinder I've ever dealt with, very well layed out to maintain. And considering the direction gas prices keep going the Ion would be a better choice. The Vibe has a hard time reaching its EPA rated mileage, the Ion however does not.

Reply to
blah blah

Justa thought, if you can get the GMS discount and are looking for a manual trans. vehicle to replace a wagon, consider a man. VUE 4cly. The '05 now has a bit more peppy engine, quieter and also a Sport tuned suspension. With your GMS discount, you get a base price on any Saturn that you choose. Replacing a wagon with an ION is a poor substitute for a wagon space-wise and functionality wise.

IMHO, we have taken in a few Vibes, I really like Pontiac interiors (despite the overusage of the red & black color scheme) but I found the Vibe's interior to be cramped and claustrophobic in comparison. It is peppy and fun to drive, but you will definately know you are in a small car.

The '05 VUE 4cyl has the "new" hydramatic automatic trans., or a nice tight man shifter, quiet steel dashboard lining, redone pistons and linings and more.

Well, check them out for yourself, thats just my 2 cents. Cheers! marx404

Reply to
marx404

If seriously consider ION, check out Chevy Cobalt. Similar with improvements.

Reply to
Art

I am intrigued. What improvements does the 05 Cobalt have over the 05 ION?

Doug

Reply to
Doug Mitchell