Is my '99 SC1 burning, or leaking oil?

While driving to a park yesterday I noticed the oil pressure light come on for just a second. I got to the park, did my hike and when I started to leave I checked the level. Oil wasn't even touching the dipstick from what I could tell. I drove it home as long as the oil pressure light stayed off. When I got it home I fortunately had some mobil-1 ready cos i was going to do an oil change this weekend. I put a quart in and tested the level - not even touching still. I went ahead and poured two more quarts in and it was at the top of the full level then. 3 quarts. It has been < 6000 miles since I changed the oil (I try to do the 3000 mile change but sometimes it goes over). I haven't noticed any oil patches on my driveway recently. Today I took the car in to a Jiffy Lube and had them examine it. They found nothing and no build-up anywhere to indicate it was leaking. They did notice (and I've noticed it too when I've been underneath the car) that there is a fine line of oil all around the oil pan. So, maybe a gasket needs changing, I don't know.

I'm going to keep a sharp eye out all week and see what's up. It's never done this before but once last year I did tell my dad when i did a change at his place that it seems like less oil came out of the pan than what I put in.

There is no visible smoke of any sort coming out of the tailpipe. My car has alway had stellar emissions from the testing facility. I have 129,000 miles on this car. I intended to get 300,000. I drive it gingerly to maximize gas mileage. I do regular oil changes and have just recently started doing them myself so that I can step up and use synthetic stuff and a better quality oil filter.

It's raining here today but as soon as it dries up I'm putting the car on the ramps and run it a bit as see if anything comes out. I'd like to hear theories or suggestions on where to look for possible leaks. Thanks a bunch.

Reply to
Ken Very Big Liar

At least Saturns give you an oil light.

PCV valve maybe. Common oil loss problem with inline engines. (only buy oem pcv valves)

Dont drive without the oil being in the normal operation range on the dipstick, start carrying extra fluids in the trunk. Make it a habit of checking your fluids weekly and never rely on gages or lights.

No one does basic automotive care anymore it seems...

Reply to
Blah blah

Its probably burning it. You're lucky you didn't hurt the engine by letting the oil get so low......

Reply to
BANDIT2941

You might want to check your coolant to see if any of your oil has gotten into it.

Reply to
Steve