Is This Believable???

I have had a nightmare trying to sell my '98 Saturn SL2.

6 months ago when I last used the A/C, it was working quite well. Then someone tried to use the A/C and told me----to my shock----that it was not working. The compressor did not engage. I had to pull the car off the sales lot to try to get the A/C fixed.

Diagnostic work on the A/C showed a leak at some seal near the compressor. I am told that this leak cannot be repaired except to replace the compressor. I am already out $125 for the diagnostic work. The shop now tells me that to replace the compressor will be $2200 parts and labor!!! Is this believable or unbelievable???

Since the car is MAYBE worth $4000 with a working A/C, that means I'll probably be paying someone to take it off my hands since the A/C does not work.

(Please do not tell me about giving it to charity...if I made enough income to itemize deductions, I would not be owning a car, used or new, like a Saturn or any GM product in the first place.)

I have put about $7000 into a car I have driven for 16 months.

It is true that I bought it used, and the first owner was probably a rental company, but when you see the defects at 133,500 miles (some of these were even present when I bought it at 107,000 miles!), you know you don't own a Honda or Toyota given the same care/maintenance:

  • regular transmission cooling failure leading to transmission failure
  • rod knock which will probably require a rebuilt engine in 10,000 miles anyway
  • low brake pedal after bleed of brakes (master cylinder failure?)
  • now an A/C compressor failure

I have taken a major bath on this Saturn, and I am pretty sure that the risk I took on trying a GM product has not paid off. I am pretty good about taking care of cars, so I don't know if this would have happened had I been the original owner.

Reply to
Car Owner

That is insane. I would never go to that shop again. Get a list of the parts, and go shopping on eBay. Have a shop do the discharge & recharge, but the parts swapping probably isn't too difficult and can be done by the average driveway mechanic.

Well, drive it for a few more years and it will be well worth the money you've put into it.

Lane [ l a n e @ p a i r . c o m ]

Reply to
Lane

Last year my compressor seal went out as well. I converted mine over to 134a and used some leak detector and stop leak. So far so good.

Anyway, at that time, I think it was 6th Planet auto parts offered me a good used compressor for around $100. Maybe someone else knows this guy and can shed some light.

James1549

Reply to
James1549

NO, I dont find any of this story credible at all, nor is this typical of how ppl treat thier Saturns. If you bought the car as a used rental, then you should have assumed that it was treated like a rental: beaten to sh*t by renters, as most rental cars are known to be.

That many failures on a 98 Sl is not reasonable or typical, you bought a lemon obviously. We have a 98 SL1 from a college student and it has been perfect since. Even the 94 SL2 I bought that was owned by 2 sepearte teenage girls has cost me very little to have restored to almost new condition, mechanically and cosmetically.

We just has Saturn replace the A/C system, compressor and all for $1500., including labor on our 93 SL1 so the quote you have is totally bogus in contrast. I would look elsewhere.

It seems that you have either a bad disposition or bad past experience with GM cars, that's too bad, most people have had good luck, especially with Saturns. Saturn owners are generally known to treat thier cars well and keep them in good condition, contrary to you comparison to Honduhs and others. sorry you feel that way, but stop buying lemons then blaming GM. I have owned many Fords and many GMs and the GMs have always been more reliable.

Lastly, you got ripped off on the diagnostic. Get another mechanic. As said in the previous post, I concur about 6th Planet Used Auto Parts. I have dealt with Joey, the owner before. He can be slow with shipments sometimes because his business is busy, he is a good guy and is known to ship quality parts and will save you money.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

"Lane" wrote in inimitable style:

I absolutely agree. Unfortunately, I am going to resume being an ex- patriate again when I resume living overseas in about 3-4 months, so my selling the car is a must.

But now that I am not so hot under the collar about this quoted estimate,

-----keep in mind, this quote and discussion was on the phone, but I intend to get this in writing as proof, and I will put it on the web so that the doubters can see I am no liar----I am beginning to think that I took this to the wrong shop. Hell, even the local Saturn dealership was going to put a rebuilt engine with 3 y/36K mile warranty for an in- writing $3600 estimate, and we all know how dealerships are famous for their high prices (don't we)?

One other thing bothered me: this service shop said that the state of California required them to run this A/C panel of tests as part of their work in evaluating the repair to the A/C system. Does anyone know if this is so, or have I been jobbed?

Reply to
Car Owner

run don't walk from that shop. a search on autozone.com showed a compressor and clutch reman 199.00 with a

10.00 core. seeing how it is a 1998 it is already an r134a system and you can also buy that at autozone or napa or advance auto etc along with a gauge to charge your system. also if you want to replace the condensor and accumulater that'll cost you about 200.00 so as you can see if you can wrench it yourself you can save.

I also find it hard to believe others who have responded actually paid 1500 to have a system replaced at a saturn dealer. I don't get the dealer only thing. esp when your vehicle is getting up there in years. If you are not one to work on a car, then I can see finding a small shop to do the work but at 77 an hour labor and almost 25% added to consumer cost on parts you are just paying way too much.

Reply to
Tim G

"Tim G" wrote in inimitable style:

Here is the evidence of my particular encounter. Indeed, I heard correctly that the estimate was $2200:

The shops probably know that they can get you. They are probably aware that repair manuals sold at bookstores do not tell you how to service the A/C in particular, and that more often than not, there are special tools. I could start taking things apart that I probably know nothing about, and end up creating more havoc. These guys ring up the fees on these/certain services for a reason.

I violated my own rules in comparison shopping. I should have called this shop to ask how much it charges for certain basic services such as oil/filter change and smog check. I did, and I learned they charge $34.50 for oil change and $80 for smog check (does not include cert). Those are approximately TWICE what one would have to pay at many other places in the same neighborhood.

Reply to
Car Owner

I had my 93 Saturn converted to 134a for about $550 two years ago. This included a new compressor and accumulator. Lood around, there has to be at least one honest shop in your town.

Reply to
mstngmch1