Is this standard practice by Saturn in Toronto ?

My 2001 SL2 (35,000 Kilometers)would not start and had to be towed in to my dealer. Before Service even analyzed the reason (turned out to be a dead battery) my salesperson called me to tell me that he saw my car towed in and wanted to offer me a special deal that would allow me to get out of my lease (8 months to go) and put me in a new Ion. I was dumbfounded. I was already upset by the need to be towed in and got even more upset by the Sales call. Is it standard practice by Saturn salespersons to call a customer to offer them a new car if he/she sees their existing one towed in.. Gawd, I hope not!

Reply to
Bosco Took

He's a salesman. Probably a pretty good one. That is what they do. And batteries do die unexpectedly. That is what they do too.

Reply to
Art

I listen to a salesman and the service writer battle one day at the dealership. The service writer makes money on broken cars while the salesman makes money on selling a new one. The two didn't seem to like each other very much and had differing ideas.

Salesman was doing his job, although at your misfortune. I wouldn't worry about it.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

from a salesman's POV, yes, he was doing his job, but IMHO he could have shown some couth and waited for you to come in so that he could have spoken to you face to face. Being able to meet him IP and him showing you some patience and consideration may have won over your business. The service writer and the salesman both know that eventually you have to come back to pick up your car, That's the proper time to approach you or ask your permission to call you at home.

marx404

Reply to
marx404

Why? Suppose the repair would have been $500. Would you be happier making a deal on the trade before or after paying the $500.

Reply to
Art

Wouldnt this fall under telemarketing? My phone, my home, my privacy should not be intruded upon by someone trying to make a sale. Common sense seems lacking by this salesman. Though things are different north of the border...

"Dont tread on me."

Reply to
Blah blah

The do not call list in the US does NOT include companies with which who have a business relationship as the OP did in this case.

Reply to
Art

both Art and Blah Blah are correct, but then again it's all a matter of ethics and timing. Like I said, Bosco would have had to return to pick up his (or her) car and that would have been the proper time to talk to him about a new car. Another proper way would be for the Service Writer to call Bosco, as they already have a relationship, and discuss what the car needs, the costs and then ASK permisson of Bosco if it is ok for the salesman to call him. The fact that the salesman jumped the gun on ethical procedure simply shows desperation and a complete lack of professionalism.

Bosco, this is not how it should work IMHO as a professional Saturn Sales Consultant. Ideally, all departments should work together and show equal respect for the customer no matter what. I would have contacted the Store Manager or if necc. the General Manager and complain about this individual's behaviour. I would also definately express your unhappiness to your Service writer and ask him why this happened.

Best of luck and I hope that when you are ready for a new Saturn that your experience is a good one.

marx404

Reply to
marx404