Kenwood Radio Dies

...kinda interesting I lost a battery last month and this morning my Kenwood KDC-7011 croaked. The motorized faceplate has worked flawlessly since April of '99 (I assumed that is the part that would have failed, however it still works fine). The unit powers up and the face rolls forward, but there's no display and none of the buttons work. I tried the master reset on the Kenwood and it worked a little while this morning. Later in the day it was dead again and wouldn't reset.

I'm hoping this is coincidence and not from the trauma to the electrical system from the jump-start when the battery died (otherwise I'd being a little concerned the PCM is next to die).

I've got some bulbs burned out (I've been ignoring them) around the AC controls so I guess this is a good excuse to pull things apart. Anyone have any input about getting this radio fixed versus replacing?

...of course this happens when I'm spending money on the house and don't have funds for toys - such is life.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

Sorry to have to report to you that this is a common problem. I had one fail the same way earlier this year in my ZX2. Had the radio since middle of '98. I don't think it's easily fixable.

At the very bottom of the rotating faceplate there's a ribbon cable that connects the faceplate to the main radio. After enough open/close cycles the conductors develop cracks.

The radio was great for five years, though. I really liked it.

Bill K.

Reply to
William E. Krantz, Jr.

Drat! Well, guess I'll start planning/saving for a new unit - thanks!

Did you get another Kenwood? I looked briefly at Crutchfield and definitely want MP3 compatibility this time around - seems to be a lot to choose from... (Alpine looks interesting - the one I saw didn't have a built in amp)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

thanks!

choose

I replaced my Saturn stock radio with a Fujutsu 10 ( Eclipse) when the car was brand new and the unit works absolutely great. Anti theft built in, has the amps in the back its a CD/AM/FM with 24 pre-sets, easy to operate and the cost was around $385 in 1999.

They may be more today but they were rated excellent back then. Oh the face plate I bought from Saturn for $12 and it looks like it came with the car. Just a thought.

Elector

Reply to
Elector

Thanks - I found a few Eclipse models at bizrate but nothing at a couple of stores I looked at. Are you talking about the faceplate that centers the radio in the space? I've use both 'kits' - pocket on top/radio on bottom, and currently have the no pocket/radio in center.

I guess a broken radio isn't a valid excuse to get a new car, eh? (grin)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

centers the

Yep the pocket on top and radio in the middle is the one I bought from Saturn. The one that was installed with the radio was the other (No pocket) did not like the look of it and went for the pocket version.

Elector

Reply to
Elector

Hey Jonnie!

Maybe the radio doesn't work any more because YOU reset its computer?

;-)

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

Ha Ha... on this one when the power is removed and then applied again (like disconnecting the battery), the flipface opens and flashes "Code" - that's my prompt to enter my 4 digit security code. The display rolls out (flipface opens), however there's not a glimmer on the display.

I'm going to guess the built in os (for lack of the correct term) is flashed in and the failure to operate is a mechanical failure (broken ribbon cable) as Mr. Krantz suggested.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

I have a similar Kenwood in my Volvo. Had the same problem. I found the service center listed on the Kenwood site, sent in my unit, and it was fixed for very little money, I think maybe $40ish. I sent the unit on a Monday, got a call from the place on Wednesday with the price, unit arrived back in my hands on Saturday. It is the ONLY electronic device I have ever had any success trying to get repaired.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

My friends electronic face Aiwa had the same problem with the ribbon cable.

It started out with all the buttons not working. But, the remote control worked, so he used that. After a couple months that stopped working too........

Reply to
BANDIT2941

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

No, the Kenwood requires a 3/8" drill - everyone knows that! (wink)

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

...hmmm - I have a remote, I should try that - thanks!

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

...hmmm, I might try that - thanks! Would beat a several hundred bucks on a new one.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos
3/8" is close. It ACTUALLY requires a 10mm (because it's a metric radio), but 3/8" will work in a pinch...
Reply to
Kirk Kohnen