L Series 6 Cyl engine

While looking at 6th Planet parts, I found this editorial on the timing belt used on the V6 engines. The Engine was Designed by Opel and Saturn claims 100K miles on the belt. The author expresses concern that 100K is an extreme over-estimate. This engine is an interference type (things go **crash** when the timing belt slips) so a good awareness of when the belt starts to wear is important. My minivan had a simple 2.5L engine and at 90K (the recommended service interval) the timing belt was still pretty good. That was a non-interference engine so no damage if it goes but I replaced it anyway.

Oppie

The author of that article claims that 99% of other timing-belt-equipped vehicles recommend a lower replacement interval than 100K miles. Looking at the Gates timing belt application guide, this is clearly not true. There are many Acura, Honda, Audi, Chrysler, and other GM vehicles that recommend a replacement interval of 100,000 miles, or more in some cases. For example, a

2001 Honda Accord with 3.0L V6 calls for replacement at 105,000 miles, and an Audi TT calls for the belt to be replaced at 120,000 miles. Both of those are interference engines.
Reply to
Robert Hancock

Yeah until you're in for a service and the guys says the belt is looking bad, it's been 60k since the last one, and you know if it breaks it's going to be a butt load of cash to repair... re: older Honda Civic.

What the recommended service interval is in print is not always what it is in real world applications.

Reply to
Jonnie Santos

My wife's 93 Acura has a timing belt replacement variable of 90,000. I replace it sooner, the first one was at 80k, second was right before 160k, when I also did the water pump. Next one is scheduled for 240k. Car has

220k now, and someone rear-ended it last week. I'm waiting for the insurance estimate, hoping that I'll be able to fix the car and do the next belt at 240k.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

I'm a salesman in New York. I've taken two L300's in on trade-in that had over 100K miles and still had the original kevlar-impregnated timing belt.

There aren't a whole lot of L300's out there with this many miles on them, since the design only goes back to 2001, but the product literature would seem to be accurate.

J> Yeah until you're in for a service and the guys says the belt is looking

Reply to
Markwalt

Thanks for the feedback. I still will pull the cover and inspect at least once a year for wear.

Oppie '01 LW300 (41k)

Reply to
Oppie