L200 drinks lots of oil & coolant - idles rough

History:

2001 L200 2.2L started drinking coolant several months back - not a big deal I thought.

All of a sudden about 2 months ago,it started drinking oil - around 4qts/3000 miles (I check & change oil religously). Then a few weeks later, it started to idle rough. At driving speeds, it runs like a champ with plenty of power, but below 1000RPM, it feels like a diesel. MPG new was 32 - now ~27. 77K miles, all highway at 75-80MPH.

The "Service Engine Soon" light came on. Dealer said that cylinder 2 was reporting a misfire. Compression test said cylinders 2 was 75psi and 3 was

100psi - normal is 150psi. Dealer said they tought it was a burnt valve causing the rough idle and low compression. They couldn't say what was causing the oil/coolant loss. Dealer recommended replace head, timing chain, and water pump...for $3300. Bye guys!

Coolant consumtion is about 1 gallon/month now. It doesn't smoke or steam from the exhaust, and it is spotless underneath and parked in a garage, and I never see any signs of a leak on the floor - not one drop.

Can anyone tell me what might be causing these problems? Could all these symptoms point to one thing, or multiple problems? Any recommendations on what to do and how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jay

Reply to
Jay

Get your oil analyzed by blackstone labs & look for coolant in it. If you've got it the bearings are on borrowed time. A head and gasket you will probably need by perhaps a trusted independant mechanic.

[...]

Jeff McDonald

Your Cylinder pressure of 75 and the other at 100 is bad. Plus with the oil burn and coolant drink you would notice that much on the ground after you stop your car if it were leaking..

I would put money on that it's a cracked Head gasket.. Worst Case is a cracked cylinger head..

Here's a question. Have you ever over heated your engine? that can blow a head gasket, warp the head and/or Crack the head.

The diesling at low rpm is most lily the antifreeze in your cylilnder being burnt.. Heres a small trick. start you engine and stand behind your can and smell the exhaust. Does it have a sweet smell, or smoke White in color? Thats the antifreeze burning.

[...]

Joe Biadasz

What does the oil look like? Something like a cracked head or a bad head gasket could allow coolant to enter the oil. If that's going on, you need to get it fixed quickly - coolant in the oil WILL wreck your engine.

Reply to
Robert Hancock

miles (I check & change oil religously). Then a few weeks later, it started to idle rough. At driving speeds, it runs like a champ with plenty of power, but below 1000RPM, it feels like a diesel. MPG new was 32 - now ~27. 77K miles, all highway at 75-80MPH.

reporting a misfire. Compression test said cylinders 2 was 75psi and 3 was

100psi - normal is 150psi. Dealer said they tought it was a burnt valve causing the rough idle and low compression. They couldn't say what was causing the oil/coolant loss. Dealer recommended replace head, timing chain, and water pump...for $3300. Bye guys!

from the exhaust, and it is spotless underneath and parked in a garage, and I never see any signs of a leak on the floor - not one drop.

symptoms point to one thing, or multiple problems? Any recommendations on what to do and how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

You had a coolant leak into the cylinder and didn't take care of it right away. Now your rings are shot. Time for a new short block.

Reply to
Dan Hicks

When my L200 2001 was losing antifreeze one dealer admitted that they had seen several of these cars with holes in the cylinder walls. My car had about 40k miles on it. I had demanded an extended warranty so I never saw a charge. They replaced the engine block. That bill with the steering rack was about $7500.

[...]

New & Improved - N/F John