Leaking Coolant

Purchased a used 2000 Saturn recently and have had trouble with it leaking the coolant. First symptom is the steam coming from the right side of the hood and the leaking coolant underneath. The temperature light does NOT get past the half way mark - so it appears the engine is not overheating. After loosing the coolant - the low coolant light goes on. We had it checked once, but the mechanics found no leaks in the hoses or radiator. Not sure what do now. Hoping it's something easy to fix on our own, but not sure where to start.

Reply to
debbiej

Biggest problem with finding leaks, no one hoses their cars underside off. If everything looks like a leak, you cant find leaks. Clean the underside and engine then once its dry you need to apply a coolant pressure tester to the sytem. It will force coolant out where ever the leak is. You never said if it was driver or pass. side though so I havent a hint as to where it is.

Reply to
blah blah

$350 to replace after the pump started leaking at 52,000 miles Whoever was installing that gasket was not very careful. They failed to lay the gasket in the metal channels properly.

Reply to
misterfact

right side of hood, probably water pump, but could be leaky hose or loose clamp.

James

Reply to
James1549

It is the right side of the hood and appears to be near the coolant overflow. I can see the drip marks, but can't seem to determine where it is coming from.

Reply to
debbiej

I think thats the left side (drivers side) IIRC. (Where you stand doesnt determine whats left and right.) Have your cap pressure tested and if nothing turns up on it have the system pressure tested. If the systems not under pressure you're going to have a hard time finding the leak.

Reply to
blah blah