Locked into second gear

Greetings! About 3-4 weeks ago while driving home I shifted from third to second gear and the gear shift immediately went, for want of a better word, limp. No grinding, no lurch, it just went into second and won't come out. The clutch will depress and apperas to be operative, but the gear shifter does not seem to be linked to anything anymore. This is a 1996 SL1 sedan, with about 100,000 miles on it. I've been told by various people over the phone it could be anything from a stripped gear, to a bad transmission, to just needing clutch fluid. Unfortunately, I can't locate the clutch fluid dipstick, so if anyone could point me to that, I'd appreciate it. Any ideas/comments as to what maybe wrong?

Reply to
jscar2000

The clutch would not make the shifter limp. YOu either have a problem with the shifter and its linkage or in the shift rails in tranny. I suspect linkage first here though.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

There is a small plastic piece where the shift linkage connects to the transmission that tends to break. When it does your shifter is effectively disconnected from the transmission. Last I heard Saturn only sells the whole shift linkage for some crazy price but there are some inventive fixes floating around out there and someone on e-bay was selling just the plastic piece for a few bucks.

Google for "Saturn shift linkage" and you should find some answers.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I would not be surprized as GM tries to milk out maximum profit.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Google is your friend. It finds 51 threads from just this newsgroup.

You can also search here
Good luck

Reply to
Private

Actually, about 6-7 months ago I did have to have that clip replaced. I was shifting from 4th to 5th, heard a grinding noise, and then couldn't shift into 2nd, 4th or reverse. I could shift into 1st, 3rd and 5th with no problems. So it sounds like it's this problem recurring?

Reply to
psued0m

Same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago! STUPID LINKAGE! Problem was the "front-back" attachment point. The plastic cap that kept the shifting rod/cable fitting in place snapped off. (WHIMPY piece of Engineering!!!) I used a large folder clip (essential huge paperclip) to hold the thing in place. No problems since then!!!

-WaV

psued0m wrote:

Reply to
wavy

Reply to
psued0m

Just few questions: What year is your Saturn? Model? SOHC? If the dealer replaced the linkage; how much "did it hurt"?

thanks.

daniel r.

Reply to
danielr