Loss of Oil

SL2 1995 Does anyone know where the oil goes? I checked my motor oil one week and it was full, a week later I heard a ticking, again checked the motor oil and there was no oil at all showing on the dipstick. I can check the oil for a month and it will be OK then all of a sudden it goes to complete empty. Also when I have an oil change done the oil is put to full and within aprox

3 days it will be down a litre. It has been like this since I bought the car new in 95. The oil gasket does not leak, had it changed just in case that was the problem. Never find any spot leaks in the drive way And the oil pressure light nevers come on with a warning of low oil, been like this since I bought the car new in 95. I've heard other Saturn owners complain about the same thing. Anyone know where the oil goes???
Reply to
Tara

Check out the following PDFs:

SL2 1995

Reply to
C. E. White

Some good stuff but I have to totally disagree with what they say about leaks (that an almost unnoticeable leak can account for significant oil loss). I have a Volvo that leaks like the Exxon Valdez and I add maybe a quart every 4000 miles.

Reply to
satyr

Yeah, it goes out the tailpipe.

If the car has done this since it was new, you should have taken it back while still under warranty to be fixed.

Reply to
BANDIT2941

You should have an oil analysis done on your 4000 mile old oil. You might be suprised to find out exactly what is in your crankcase after

4000 miles. We used to have an old tractor that would "make oil." depsite leaking oil out of every crevice.

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

I brought my 95 Saturn in time and time again and they gave me the old song and dance. Now it's too late. Mine is doing the same thing. Tara email me about this to compare notes. snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com

Reply to
asteeves3869

I assume that the tractor was filling the crankcase with gas (diesel?) from running rich/badly. I am pretty sure that the Volvo isn't running rich. The fuel injection is in good shape and it runs clean and strong. Also, it never uses any coolant.

Besides, if you believe the previously cited links, it would have to be 100% gasoline in the crankcase by the time I change it after 6000 miles. I never notice any gasoline smell when checking or changing the oil. Mfr recommends changing every 10K BTW.

Reply to
satyr

maybe, maybe not. My local dealer ate half the cost of an engine rebuild on my '93 SL at 120K miles after I pointed out that I'd consistently identified to them increasing oil consumption as a problem since about 40-50K. The car was using 1 qt/500 miles at the time of rebuild.

Reply to
Bill Davis

From a number of people's experiences, it seems a lot of oil consumption problems on Saturn 1.9L engines are due to stuck rings. A number of people have reported good results from the procedure described here:

Robert Hancock