Loud Running---L-300??

Why has my L-300 suddenly started running very loud? It seems to be super loud on the freeway at speeds over 60. Could it be an exhaust problem, or something? I do not think it is my tires, because I hear the same noise while the car is at idle, only not so loud. Any help on this problem will be appreciated. Thanks!!

Reply to
WGRG4

Well what's it tied to? Engine RPM's or vehicle speed? If you hear it while idling its related to the engine. Could be an even be an exhaust manifold leak. Open your hood and look and or goto a shop.

Reply to
BläBlä

There's a flex joint between the Y pipe and the downstream Cat. Look for a leak there. Try plugging the exhaust pipe at idle and see if it develops any back pressure - an idication of a leak free system. (plugging - put your hand lightly over the outlet pipe when it is still cold)

Always helps to know the year and how many miles on the car.

Reply to
Oppie

] snipped-for-privacy@noapan-ludl.com (Oppie)

]There's a flex joint between the Y pipe and the ] downstream Cat. Look for a leak there. Try ] plugging the exhaust pipe at idle and see if it ] develops any back pressure - an idication of a ] leak free system. (plugging - put your hand ] lightly over the outlet pipe when it is still cold)

]Always helps to know the year and how many ] miles on the car.

So if I put my hand over the exhaust, and it starts to suck it in at idle it means my exhaust system is leak free? If it is leak free what else could cause this problem? Thanks!

Saturn L-300 2004 30,000 miles

Reply to
WGRG3

Your vehicle is way too new for any major damage to the exhaust system from rust or wear. The exception would be if you damaged the exhaust going over a speed bump or snagging something.

Um... the exhaust will never 'suck' your hand in (it's a positive pressure). By lightly covering the exhaust outlet(s) with your hand, you should be able to feel a few psi of backpressure and not hear any hissing from leaks that may be upstream. When in doubt, jack up the car and do a visual inspection of the pipes.

Oppie '01 LW300, 95K miles

Reply to
Oppie

] Jan 3, 2007, 10:05am (PST+3) From: ] snipped-for-privacy@noapan-ludl.com (Oppie) ]Your vehicle is way too new for any major ] damage to the exhaust system from rust or ] wear. The exception would be if you damaged ] the exhaust going over a speed bump or ] snagging something.

]Um... the exhaust will never 'suck' your hand in ] (it's a positive pressure). By lightly covering ] the exhaust outlet(s) with your hand, you ] should be able to feel a few psi of ] backpressure and not hear any hissing from ] leaks that may be upstream. When in doubt, ] jack up the car and do a visual inspection of ] the pipes.

OK that worked, I did not hear any hissing, and I felt some pressure at the exhaust. The thing is that my Engine, and Catalytic Converter have been getting extremely "Hot" lately. After only a short distance both my Engine, and CC will get very Hot, and it takes a long time to cool down. The temp gauge on the dash reads normal, or even below normal. Is the high temp normal,( I did not think that 6Cyl ran Hot?), or could it in any way be related to the loud Engine, and Exhaust noise I am hearing? If I take it in to my dealer to get the Engine scoped do you think they will be able to pinpoint the problem, if there is one? Thanks!!

Reply to
WGRG3

By all means, take it to a professional mechanic and have it looked at. I'd start with an independant mechanic and go to the dealer only if really needed (long story). Something sounds amiss and should be looked into. Could be something out of balance in the engine or something about to fail and cost you big bucks. Better to get it checked early. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing even if it costs a little...

My engine and exhaust get hot - hotter than the old 4-banger I used to have, but nothing that I would consider excessive. Cats do get hot when working normally though if the engine is missing on a cylinder or running rich, they will get much hotter. You should get a SES (check engine) light under those conditions which you did not mention getting.

Oppie

2001 lw300
Reply to
Oppie

]4, 2007, 8:21am (PST+3) From: ] snipped-for-privacy@noapam-ludl.com (Oppie)

]By all means, take it to a professional ] mechanic and have it looked at. I'd start with ] an independant mechanic and go to the dealer ] only if really needed (long story). Something ] sounds amiss and should be looked into. ] Could be something out of balance in the ] engine or something about to fail and cost you ] big bucks. Better to get it checked early. ] Peace of mind is a wonderful thing even if it ] costs a little...

]My engine and exhaust get hot - hotter than ] the old 4-banger I used to have, but nothing ] that I would consider excessive. Cats do get ] hot when working normally though if the ] engine is missing on a cylinder or running rich, ] they will get much hotter. You should get a ] SES (check engine) light under those ] conditions which you did not mention getting.

That's the thing, even though I feel like there is something wrong I do not have any warning lights, and my Temp gauge seems normal. Maybe I am just a little paranoid because my warranty runs out in another month! That is a great reason to get it checked out right?

What do you think about Extended Warranty's are they really worth the money? Do you think I should get one or just take my chances?

Thanks again, for all the help!!

Reply to
WGRG3

An extended warranty is like a crap shoot. I had an uncle who owned a Cadillac dealership. His advice (to me as a family member) was to take the money that you would pay for the extended warranty and instead put it in an interest bearing bank account. That's not to say that you will come out ahead all the time but the odd are that you will. Granted that at the time I was told this was about 15 years ago and bank interest rates were a bit higher. A 6 month CD might be better... The extended warranty is a big money maker for the dealers. Most defects show up within the original warranty period. After that, it's mostly wear-out issues. If you do elect to get an extended warranty, understand what is not covered (bumper to bumper excluding everything in-between?)

Reply to
Oppie

Thank you for your possibly biased and clearly over generalized opinion. Most of these people who do have issues in here generally have already exceeded 100K miles which trumps every factory extended warranties that I know of. The big ticket items are, if equipped, Timing belts breaking (which can be avoided with conservative maintenance), some SOHC heads cracking, and CVT transmissions in general. All other issues are fairly inexpensive if they even occur under warranty. The only other major problems have been from blatant lack of service.

Reply to
BläBlä

Possibly? The thousands of results you get from a Google Group search of the name "Scharf" in this newsgroup would confirm it lol.

Reply to
caviller

Holy crap I didnt notice he was back! LOL Yeah definitely biased.

Reply to
BläBlä