low coolant

Hello,

I have a '96 Saturn with 120k on it. The coolant indicator light come on and goes off intermittently. I had an OBD read and it reported a problem stating something like "low coolant sensor". Is there a sensor that monitors coolant level? If so, where is it--I don't see anything in the overflow reservoir tub. This sensor obviously reports back to the computer. Could this sensor error prevent the drive-cycle from taking place. I disconnected my battery about 4 weeks/400mi ago and my computer is reporting no codes which is preventing me from getting an NYS (New York) inspection.

By the way, the temp sensor is working fine and the car does not overheat.

Thank you for your help, Rob

Reply to
Rob

Rob,

You need to look closer. There is indeed a small sensor located in the bottom of the plastic coolant reservoir. If it comes on intermittently, then you are probably low on coolant and the solution is most likely to add a 50 mix to get you to the full cold line.

It might also be a good time to flush and refill the system since this is supposed to be done every two years. If you do, then remove the coolant recovery reservoir and clean it thoroughly with hot soapy water. Make sure you also use the correct coolant (Saturn's use special coolant) and add the

2 crushed leak-stop pellets as well. The coolant and pellets are available from the dealer.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thank you for the tip. You're are correct I didn't look that closely. I plan to remove the reservoir tank and do a more thorough search. The level in the reservoir is fine, it reads properly for both the cold and hot levels. Flushing it also a good suggestion. Perhaps the sensor is bad or a dirty reservoir is preventing proper operation.

Would this flaky sensor prevent a drive cycle from taking place, thus preventing the computer from generating codes. I disconnected the battery a while ago and the state's NYS inspection computer is telling my mechanic that there are no codes to report. He told me to drive the car for a while to get the computer to generate codes. I've driven the car for 4 wks/400miles and the computer is still in the same state.

Reply to
Rob

You should also check the wires going from the sensor all the way to the harness.

When my Saturn started flashing the low coolant indicator it turned out to be that the sensor wires had been chewed up. I fixed it, and then it did it again. It appears that a small animal out here favors yellow wires.

Now I park the Saturn in my garage.

JM

Reply to
J. Margolin

It is dependent on the number of ignition (starts) cycles. I think it requires 40 or 50 cycles to turn off/reset that history flag.

Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I am not sure about the Saturn, but other GM cars requires the eng temp to raise more than 40=B0 before it considers one ignition cycle completed. GM dealers have a proceedure to follow, to reset the history so it will pass inspections.

James

Reply to
James1549