Low Fuel Indicator

On my 03 Ion,it seems the low fuel chimes on earlier than it should,can it malfuntion that much?.Maybe needs a factory re set?.

Reply to
teem

Might want to post what is 'early'.

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great

well,i'm going to post when should it go off?.less than a gallon in the tank?.

Reply to
teem

There is no way the fuel gage can read that little amount of fuel nor can your car stay running on that amount. Are you trying to destroy your fuel pump as quickly as possible? The best and safest time to fill you gas tank is when it reaches a quarter of a tank, not at an eighth of a tank. No such thing as an early indicator from what I've seen. I'm guessing yours goes off after a quarter tank has been reached.

Reply to
blah blah

Mine goes off much later that 1/8th of a tank in my ION3.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

According to my manual...

"When the low fuel message is displayed, you may have less than 1.5 gallons of fuel left."

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

Looks like "may" might be the factor here. I personally don't like letting my tank get down too low, 1/4 tank I refill. But this is a personal choice.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

Oh I agree.. I hate to let it get too low too, just stating what the manual says.

Reply to
Ray Cassick (Home)

My L200 has less than a gallon when the chime goes off. And yes, it will run on until there is no gas. OH, and BTW, low fuel has NOTHING to do with fuel pump life. The fuel pumps are a simple gearotor style pump and will run practically forever even without ANY gas in them. They are cooled by the gas running THROUGH them, not by the gas AROUND them. I've heard these lines of thinking before and there's just nothing to them. I've seen electric in tank pumps last 20,000 miles and I've seen them last 300,000 miles. As a matter of fact we have 2 trucks (out of the 33) where I work that both have 300,000 + miles and they both have the original fuel pumps. We never gas the trucks until they are empty. I personally have never filled ANY car of my own until it was empty and I've NEVER had a fuel pump failure.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Think what you want, but there are good reasons not to run the fuel too low (outside the obvious of the higher possibility of running out of fuel), including premature in tank fuel pump failure (which you do not agree with) and vapor condensation during cooler winter months.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to