LW300 fuel pump

Car wouldn't start the other day. Cranked fine but would sputter and then die. Took a quick fuel pressure reading and found only 10 psi (should be

65). Pulled the fuel pump relay and bypassed the contacts. No pressure change. Had 12V at the relay so fuse was OK. By deduction, fuel pump was dead. This was something that I was not going to change myself. I've done them on other cars before but working alone, not a good thing. Was about to get it towed to a friend's garage when I remembered the old mechanic's trick to get it running temporarily, rap the tank while cranking the engine. (same thing works with a bad starter motor to hit the back of the starter while key is turned). Brushes were worn or the armature had a dead spot but engine started! Drove it directly to the repair shop. In order to service the pump the tank needs to be dropped which also requires that part of the exhaust be dropped. To my surprise, he had the car ready that evening. I would have gone with the aftermarket pump from Autozone ($329) but they bought an OEM Saturn pump ($500 - ouch!). Owner said that they've had some problems with aftermarket parts and prefer to use OEM whenever possible. I do some electrical/electronics work for him so got the pump at his cost and was charged only $250 for labor. At 182K miles, the pump was on borrowed time anyway. Made sure that the fuel filter was also replaced. I had gotten gas the night before at a new place. Perhaps there was water in the fuel and plugged the filter and hastened the demise of the pump from high back pressure. Put some drygas in the tank just as a precaution. All good now - Oppie
Reply to
Oppie