LW300 rear suspension

Bushings are starting to go in the rear trailing arms. Ordered new trailing arms at $350 each (ouch!) as the bushings are about $90 each by themselves, made more sense to get the trailing arms. This appears to be just a bolt-in vs bushings which need to be pressed. At about 160K miles, can't really complain too much. It's still a good car.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Got the new trailing arms installed in about five hours. Amazingly, nothing else broke in the process. Impact wrench, torque wrench, rust penetrant (Kroil) and shop manual plus a good deal of muscle and common sense for the stuff the manual doesn't tell you. Still need to do a wheel alignment. I marked the outline of the trailing arm to chassis mounts with magic marker in order to get the alignment close as possible after the swap. Will probably do the front struts / strut mounts this fall. With the new trailing arms, already drives much better. The rear struts were replaced last summer.

If anybody has need of the old arms, let me know. Once out, a machine shop can press in new bushings fairly easily.

Oppie

2001 lw300
Reply to
Oppie